+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship, travelling and passport woes :-)

barefaced

Apr 10, 2008
Hi everyone I'm new to these boards (to be honest I wish I had discovered this site when I first got here 4 years ago!!) Ok my question is long winded and a bit confusing (which is my doing) so bear with me :)

I am a British citizen living in Canada and my father has just booked a flight for me to go back for a visit in the summer. I am married to a Canadian so go by my married name here but all my PR paperwork and my Uk passport in is my maiden name. In the very beginning I asked them although my passport was in my maiden name could I apply for PR in my married name but was told no and to just change the name at citizenship which was fine and I go for my citizenship ceremony next week. So now heres the problem. My father not thinking booked the flight in my married name not knowing my uk passport was in my maiden name. We pretty much knew that my citizenship would be through by the time I leave so we have been left with these choices.

1) Keep the plane ticket in my married name, apply for Canadian passport before I leave and enter the Uk as a Canadian citizen and return to Canada that way too.

2) Change the plane ticket name to my maiden name, enter the Uk as a Brit citizen and come back to Canada as a Brit but carry my citizenship card in a completely different name (along with my marriage certificate to prove the name change)

3) Or do I leave Canada with my new Canadian passport in my married name and enter the Uk with my Uk passport in my maiden name but my ticket being in my married name?

Are you still with me???lol. I know Ive probably created a problem for myself but the timing of the trip and the citizenship couldnt be worse. I know someone is going to say just change the Uk passport name as well which I have thought of. The big thing there though is that it is due for renewal next year so I would have to pay this year to change the name and then next year have to renew it and pay again. All together that will work out to be $500.....too much imo.

So what do you think??? The last thing I need is to be hauled into immigration on either side. Also my kids will be traveling with me and they are Uk passport holders and will be dual citizenship. Shall I apply for a passport for them too before I go or just travel with their Uk passports and citizenship cards? They have the same name on all of it.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Postpone your trip...get the citizenship papers for you and your children...get new passports for all and fly, fly away. It just sounds like a bad time for the trip. Sorry Dad! I'm a Dad too.....he'll get over it!

Best wishes

RGV

barefaced

Apr 10, 2008
Hi RGV

Yes I was thinking along the same lines too but unfortunately due to circumstances completely out of my control I cant rearrange the trip. Anyway I contacted the passport office in the Uk and they are telling me that I have to enter the Uk with a passport in the same name as the ticket but I can also show my Uk passport with my marriage certificate. I have emailed them back to just get them to confirm this information and my father is also calling them to get them to tell him that too. I'll let you know what happens.

okopielaigwu

May 1, 2008
What if i dont have a wife,and at the same time, i want to a canadian citizenshipto travell anbd i dont have the money,what will to do?.