+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship - Time Frame

jalbert

Jun 2, 2008
I applied for permanent residence this year, and I expect it to be completed before 18-24 months. Because of my work, I lived in Canada as a temporary resident from Jan. 05 until Oct. 07.

Would that time spent in Canada count for Citizenship purposes? Would it reduce the time I have to wait before I can apply for citizenship after landing?

Please share your thoughts.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jalbert said:
I applied for permanent residence this year, and I expect it to be completed before 18-24 months. Because of my work, I lived in Canada as a temporary resident from Jan. 05 until Oct. 07.

Would that time spent in Canada count for Citizenship purposes? Would it reduce the time I have to wait before I can apply for citizenship after landing?

Please share your thoughts.
When you apply for citizenship, you can only count the time spent in Canada in the 4 years preceding the application. Time spent as a visitor/worker/student prior to PR is counted as half time to a maximum of year. In your case if you "landed" in Oct/08 you could not count any of your previous time in Canada for citizenship.

PMM