Citizenship Test From Outside Canada

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
I didn't want to reply to a specific post so I thought I'd just send one in general (and by no means I'm an expert but basing it on my own experience and based on what I've read).

Look in an ideal world, yes you will be in Canada, take the test there....take the interview there (if required) and finally the Oath....oh and then apply for the passport.

Myself I was outside of Canada when asked to take the test, originally (before it was allowed), I informed them back in April 2021 that I was outside of the country and I was told to let them know when I returned and that they could hold my application on hold for a maximum of 6 months before it would essentially be returned back to myself.

In June/July (I believe) of 2021 the rules relaxed and applicants were able to take the test outside of Canada, so my wife was able to do that by replying straight back to the email and also I then sent them an email directly, to my surprise they replied and allowed me to do it....usually with their track record they take their time in replying to any query.

So we were both successful in taking out tests outside of Canada in July 2021 and passed the tests, after that we were expecting the lottery of interviews.

The request for interviews did not come, quite possibly because our application was straight forward (not sure what constitutes as being straight forward but UK born, provided passports copies with initial application, degree certs, ties to Canada i.e. mortgage and home docs etc).

However I was asked for a 2nd set of FPrints in Nov which I sent from the UK to an agency in Vancouver who digitally sorted them for me and forwarded then to the RCMP who then forwarded them on to IRCC.

I then took me a few emails to confirm that IRCC had received them as RCMP were not replying and neither were IRCC (initially), they confirmed receipt via an email in December.

Every status was then changed in early Jan and a request was made to attend an Oath in Mid-Feb, which meant flying in from the UK.

Citizenship certs have been received but a passport application will be done from the UK, which is where I am currently back in, now yes I will be moving back to Canada but unsure as to exact date....could be summer or xmas of this year.

Going back to the original question, look tests can be done....interviews have been shown more recently in a handful of replies that they're also possible but yes the Oath is strictly on Canadian soil....again barring one post I've seen here.

Ultimately each case is different and we come here for that re-assurance I guess or the clarity that we require, especially when some of us are abroad for whatever reason that we may be, so take it as it comes, if you're outside then yes currently tests allowed, interviews yes (but again you'll need a good reason I assume as to why)...Oaths....as far as I know 99.9% 'not allowed.'
Thank you for your reply! This was very informative , I was suprsised to hear that even fingerprints can be done outside? Is this a specific company or any worldwide fingerprint facility can be used? I didnt understand what you meant by “ fingerprints forwarded to vancouver” dont you send them directly to RCMP?

Thanks and all the best in your life

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
How you plan this is up to you. You can either take the test outside Canada or you can return to Canada to take the test and then head to your destination. There might or might not be an email from IRCC asking if you've returned to Canada (I've seen it in some cases / there isn't data or I haven't seen it in others who took the test outside).

Either way, you'll have to come back for oath of citizenship.

Good luck.
Thanks , I guess I will have to take the risk if this happens and if they ask me to come back later then i simply come back for a while and leave again!

DODGE1981

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
In the PDF document attached to the email, they say contact them immediately if you're outside which I did. They said it's ok to take interview outside Canada. Besides, I'm gonna request to take oath outside due to medical condition. Let's see what happens.
Hi , Thanks for reply, excuse me how you know the email of your officer , because all my conversations already made through the following email :IRCC.MtlConvoTests-ExamensConvoMtl.IRCC@cic.gc.ca or how to know even the office email, Thanks

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I believe the oath is a totally different subject though! they expect you to be in Canada when taking the oath. In the citizenship test option it seems they are kinda formally offering you to take the test outside at least by acknowledging this. But who would know what goes in IRCC mind!
Thanks , I guess I will have to take the risk if this happens and if they ask me to come back later then i simply come back for a while and leave again!
Caution: The jury is still out on how residing outside Canada after applying can (not necessarily will, but how it might) influence and affect the way things go.

Historically this has not been a problem for more than a few, while for many others it (being abroad) appears to be what has triggered delays, procedural hurdles, for some RQ-related non-routine processing, and for those for whom the delays result in absences from Canada resulting in a PR Residency Obligation breach, not only a negative outcome but potential loss of PR status as well.

So far a lot of those who reported taking the knowledge of Canada test while outside Canada appear to be in limbo with little or no promise of being scheduled for the oath anytime soon, with at least a significant number whose applications are apparently stuck in place unless and until they document their return to Canada.

The extensive and excellent report (partially quoted below), posted by @Dalboy1980 Sunday, illustrates, at the least, that notwithstanding residing outside Canada or otherwise remaining abroad for an extended period of time (which some in the forum persist in mischaracterizing as "travel" abroad, that is misleadingly or to be frank overtly misrepresenting living abroad to be "travel" abroad) does not necessarily result in a serious problem beyond some logistical hurdles.

So we were both successful in taking out tests outside of Canada in July 2021 and passed the tests, after that we were expecting the lottery of interviews. . . .
. . . and a request was made to attend an Oath in Mid-Feb, which meant flying in from the UK.
Going back to the original question, look tests can be done....interviews have been shown more recently in a handful of replies that they're also possible but yes the Oath is strictly on Canadian soil....again barring one post I've seen here.
. . .
Ultimately each case is different . . .
@Dalboy1980's report is particularly valuable because it gives enough detail to offer context, strongly suggest reliability, but even more significantly it makes clear that IRCC was not deceived about the applicants' presence outside Canada. One of the problems we have had in understanding how this goes is that it has been readily apparent, in the past, that some or a lot of the more or less success stories (relocating abroad after applying did not interfere with grant of citizenship) involved applicants who to some extent concealed they were abroad from IRCC.

Of course the other problem in figuring out how this goes has been the variability in outcomes. No problem for many. Some problems for many. Big problems for some.

Undoubtedly, many of those potentially affected would like to better know what will determine whether there is no problem, some problems, or a big problem.

It warrants noting and emphasizing that the SAFEST approach is to return to Canada, the sooner the better. For many this is not practical or, for some, even realistically possible. Nonetheless, the sooner the citizenship applicant returns to Canada, the better their odds of getting to the oath sooner, and for some that might mean quite a lot sooner.

There is another aspect of this that also warrants noting and emphasizing, in significant part because some here appear to still be holding on to hope they will be able to take the oath outside Canada. Not likely. Not close to likely. Some chance, perhaps, but notwithstanding some vague undocumented suggestions otherwise, there remains little sign that 5(1) citizenship applicants will be able to take the oath abroad.

In this regard I am reminded of a Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels movie in which the Carrey character asks the woman he has a crush on what the chances are she and him could have a romantic relationship. She says "one in a million." After a pause the Carrey character erupts with joy, exhilarated, shouting "Yes, there's a chance." More hope for the oath abroad? Perhaps.

In particular, as to special relief: As there is for almost all actions by IRCC, there is a provision allowing special relief by the Minister. And as to this, the odds of special relief allowing a particular applicant to take the oath abroad are perhaps better than the odds the Minister will grant citizenship to an applicant who fails to meet the qualifying requirements, for which the law likewise gives the Minister comparable discretion to grant special relief. But not much better. Anyone here waiting for a grant of citizenship even though they do not meet the qualifications? If so, there's a chance, but anyone waiting on that . . . or waiting on getting to take the oath abroad . . . could be waiting a very long time, and odds are they will only be disappointed in the end.

Bringing this around to a couple particular comments:

But who would know what goes [on] in IRCC mind!

The first of these, that individual cases are different, is worth repeating. How things go, and many times the outcome, will indeed vary and sometimes vary considerably depending on the particular facts, circumstances, and situations in a specific individual's case. I do not want to dig too deeply into this tangent, but an obvious example is how differently things might go for the applicant abroad who applied with 1096 days actual presence and who appears to be more or less permanently relocated abroad, compared to the applicant abroad who applied with 1184 days actual presence and who appears to be abroad for a temporary purpose, school, job, family member's health, or such.

The other, wondering about what IRCC "thinks" or "feels" tends to miss the mark. Sure, this is mostly a reference to uncertainty about how IRCC handles certain cases, certain circumstances, and for sure there is much we do not know about how some decisions are made behind the curtain at IRCC. But it is important to recognize IRCC is not a sentient being, it is a bureaucracy, it does not "think," it does not "feel." There are laws, regulations, and rules, and these are interpreted and applied according to policies and practices, dictating the criteria and their application in the decision-making process. Sure, some aspects of the decision-making process are not entirely mechanical, recognizing that individual agents and officers within IRCC exercise some range of thinking which is influenced by their perceptions and impressions, to some extent how they "feel," but the process is MOSTLY MECHANICAL.

Why is the latter worth mentioning? It illustrates and explains why there is a big difference between allowing applicants to take the knowledge of Canada test online while abroad versus administering the oath abroad. It's fairly simple: it is not about what IRCC feels or thinks, it is about what the law allows or requires. There is no law governing where the test is administered. In contrast, the current law (in regulations) prescribes that 5(1) citizenship applicants can only take the oath IN Canada. There is no provision allowing applicants to take the oath abroad (but for *special* relief discussed above).

That is, when IRCC implemented online testing there was no basis, in the law, to treat applicants abroad differently than those in Canada; they did, initially, but that appears to largely have been about the logistics. In contrast, for purposes of the oath, the current regulations not only allow for but in effect mandate treating applicants differently based on whether they are in Canada or abroad. There may be some arguable nuances suggesting a way around the regulations, but there are multiple reasons why IRCC is not likely to pursue that . . . just the risk of undermining the validity of citizenship for those taking the oath online from abroad alone is probably persuasive . . . but there is also the likely influence of opposition rooted in negative estimations about applicants relocating abroad soon after applying -- which many here may protest should not be the case, notwithstanding the long history illustrating it has been the case and little sign this has abated much.

The latter brings up a concluding observation: it is not clear what policy or practices are driving local IRCC offices to require some, perhaps most applicants known to be abroad, to document their return to Canada before proceeding to finalize the application and schedule the oath, but among the usual suspects it is no stretch to speculate attitudes about applicants relocating abroad soon after applying is at least a significant factor in the matrix.

Leaving this where I started: the jury is still out on how residing outside Canada after applying can (not necessarily will, but how it might) influence and affect how things go.

Last edited:

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Thank you for your reply! This was very informative , I was suprsised to hear that even fingerprints can be done outside? Is this a specific company or any worldwide fingerprint facility can be used? I didnt understand what you meant by “ fingerprints forwarded to vancouver” dont you send them directly to RCMP?

Thanks and all the best in your life
No problems, I did miss out a whole chunk on once I'd received my Oath invitation and the steps and hurdles that I had to go through....as it was extremely stressful.

In answering your question, so the agency in the UK took my FP and I then had to courier them across to the agency that they used which was located in Vancouver...obviously before FP can be sent to RCMP, they need to be uploaded digitally or so I believe they do.
The 1st sent in Feb 2020 also caused me a great deal of stress, 2nd set were a lot smoother but I did have to email the RCMP on 3/4 separate occasions as well as the IRCC to confirm that they'd received them.
So it was get the prints done in UK.....I couriered them via DHL to Vancouver (praying they got there in one piece and didn't get lost on the way), they then uploaded them digitally and forwarded onto RCMP who then forwarded the prints onto IRCC as I'd stated in the correspondence that I'd completed.
Not being in the country made it slightly more challenging but I managed to get there in the end.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
No problems, I did miss out a whole chunk on once I'd received my Oath invitation and the steps and hurdles that I had to go through....as it was extremely stressful.

In answering your question, so the agency in the UK took my FP and I then had to courier them across to the agency that they used which was located in Vancouver...obviously before FP can be sent to RCMP, they need to be uploaded digitally or so I believe they do.
The 1st sent in Feb 2020 also caused me a great deal of stress, 2nd set were a lot smoother but I did have to email the RCMP on 3/4 separate occasions as well as the IRCC to confirm that they'd received them.
So it was get the prints done in UK.....I couriered them via DHL to Vancouver (praying they got there in one piece and didn't get lost on the way), they then uploaded them digitally and forwarded onto RCMP who then forwarded the prints onto IRCC as I'd stated in the correspondence that I'd completed.
Not being in the country made it slightly more challenging but I managed to get there in the end.
Thank you for sharing

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Caution: The jury is still out on how residing outside Canada after applying can (not necessarily will, but how it might) influence and affect the way things go.

Historically this has not been a problem for more than a few, while for many others it (being abroad) appears to be what has triggered delays, procedural hurdles, for some RQ-related non-routine processing, and for those for whom the delays result in absences from Canada resulting in a PR Residency Obligation breach, not only a negative outcome but potential loss of PR status as well.

So far a lot of those who reported taking the knowledge of Canada test while outside Canada appear to be in limbo with little or no promise of being scheduled for the oath anytime soon, with at least a significant number whose applications are apparently stuck in place unless and until they document their return to Canada.

The extensive and excellent report (partially quoted below), posted by @Dalboy1980 Sunday, illustrates, at the least, that notwithstanding residing outside Canada or otherwise remaining abroad for an extended period of time (which some in the forum persist in mischaracterizing as "travel" abroad, that is misleadingly or to be frank overtly misrepresenting living abroad to be "travel" abroad) does not necessarily result in a serious problem beyond some logistical hurdles.

@Dalboy1980's report is particularly valuable because it gives enough detail to offer context, strongly suggest reliability, but even more significantly it makes clear that IRCC was not deceived about the applicants' presence outside Canada. One of the problems we have had in understanding how this goes is that it has been readily apparent, in the past, that some or a lot of the more or less success stories (relocating abroad after applying did not interfere with grant of citizenship) involved applicants who to some extent concealed they were abroad from IRCC.

Of course the other problem in figuring out how this goes has been the variability in outcomes. No problem for many. Some problems for many. Big problems for some.

Undoubtedly, many of those potentially affected would like to better know what will determine whether there is no problem, some problems, or a big problem.

It warrants noting and emphasizing that the SAFEST approach is to return to Canada, the sooner the better. For many this is not practical or, for some, even realistically possible. Nonetheless, the sooner the citizenship applicant returns to Canada, the better their odds of getting to the oath sooner, and for some that might mean quite a lot sooner.

There is another aspect of this that also warrants noting and emphasizing, in significant part because some here appear to still be holding on to hope they will be able to take the oath outside Canada. Not likely. Not close to likely. Some chance, perhaps, but notwithstanding some vague undocumented suggestions otherwise, there remains little sign that 5(1) citizenship applicants will be able to take the oath abroad.

In this regard I am reminded of a Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels movie in which the Carrey character asks the woman he has a crush on what the chances are she and him could have a romantic relationship. She says "one in a million." After a pause the Carrey character erupts with joy, exhilarated, shouting "Yes, there's a chance." More hope for the oath abroad? Perhaps.

In particular, as to special relief: As there is for almost all actions by IRCC, there is a provision allowing special relief by the Minister. And as to this, the odds of special relief allowing a particular applicant to take the oath abroad are perhaps better than the odds the Minister will grant citizenship to an applicant who fails to meet the qualifying requirements, for which the law likewise gives the Minister comparable discretion to grant special relief. But not much better. Anyone here waiting for a grant of citizenship even though they do not meet the qualifications? If so, there's a chance, but anyone waiting on that . . . or waiting on getting to take the oath abroad . . . could be waiting a very long time, and odds are they will only be disappointed in the end.

Bringing this around to a couple particular comments:

But who would know what goes [on] in IRCC mind!

The first of these, that individual cases are different, is worth repeating. How things go, and many times the outcome, will indeed vary and sometimes vary considerably depending on the particular facts, circumstances, and situations in a specific individual's case. I do not want to dig too deeply into this tangent, but an obvious example is how differently things might go for the applicant abroad who applied with 1096 days actual presence and who appears to be more or less permanently relocated abroad, compared to the applicant abroad who applied with 1184 days actual presence and who appears to be abroad for a temporary purpose, school, job, family member's health, or such.

The other, wondering about what IRCC "thinks" or "feels" tends to miss the mark. Sure, this is mostly a reference to uncertainty about how IRCC handles certain cases, certain circumstances, and for sure there is much we do not know about how some decisions are made behind the curtain at IRCC. But it is important to recognize IRCC is not a sentient being, it is a bureaucracy, it does not "think," it does not "feel." There are laws, regulations, and rules, and these are interpreted and applied according to policies and practices, dictating the criteria and their application in the decision-making process. Sure, some aspects of the decision-making process are not entirely mechanical, recognizing that individual agents and officers within IRCC exercise some range of thinking which is influenced by their perceptions and impressions, to some extent how they "feel," but the process is MOSTLY MECHANICAL.

Why is the latter worth mentioning? It illustrates and explains why there is a big difference between allowing applicants to take the knowledge of Canada test online while abroad versus administering the oath abroad. It's fairly simple: it is not about what IRCC feels or thinks, it is about what the law allows or requires. There is no law governing where the test is administered. In contrast, the current law (in regulations) prescribes that 5(1) citizenship applicants can only take the oath IN Canada. There is no provision allowing applicants to take the oath abroad (but for *special* relief discussed above).

That is, when IRCC implemented online testing there was no basis, in the law, to treat applicants abroad differently than those in Canada; they did, initially, but that appears to largely have been about the logistics. In contrast, for purposes of the oath, the current regulations not only allow for but in effect mandate treating applicants differently based on whether they are in Canada or abroad. There may be some arguable nuances suggesting a way around the regulations, but there are multiple reasons why IRCC is not likely to pursue that . . . just the risk of undermining the validity of citizenship for those taking the oath online from abroad alone is probably persuasive . . . but there is also the likely influence of opposition rooted in negative estimations about applicants relocating abroad soon after applying -- which many here may protest should not be the case, notwithstanding the long history illustrating it has been the case and little sign this has abated much.

The latter brings up a concluding observation: it is not clear what policy or practices are driving local IRCC offices to require some, perhaps most applicants known to be abroad, to document their return to Canada before proceeding to finalize the application and schedule the oath, but among the usual suspects it is no stretch to speculate attitudes about applicants relocating abroad soon after applying is at least a significant factor in the matrix.

Leaving this where I started: the jury is still out on how residing outside Canada after applying can (not necessarily will, but how it might) influence and affect how things go.
Thanks dpenabill for this detailed reply! I was more optimistic before reading your reply but again this will not change any of my plans because simply we can not waite forever IRCC to process our applicatoins!!! I will give them a year and if nothing happening then i’m moving. I wish that canada could have offered me an opportunity like Australia did But it didnt although i have been trying for 4 years here and done every single exam to get my license and worked even for free to get canadian experience but this was not enough!!

each one has a different story/circumstances. For me I dont give an F anymore! My wife will hopfully son become a canadian and that way by living with her I wont lose my PR status even if living outside of Canada so Let the IRCC process my application in 10 years!!!! Life has to go on.

Reactions: Dreamlad

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Thanks dpenabill for this detailed reply! I was more optimistic before reading your reply but again this will not change any of my plans because simply we can not waite forever IRCC to process our applicatoins!!! I will give them a year and if nothing happening then i’m moving. I wish that canada could have offered me an opportunity like Australia did But it didnt although i have been trying for 4 years here and done every single exam to get my license and worked even for free to get canadian experience but this was not enough!!

each one has a different story/circumstances. For me I dont give an F anymore! My wife will hopfully son become a canadian and that way by living with her I wont lose my PR status even if living outside of Canada so Let the IRCC process my application in 10 years!!!! Life has to go on.
Much nicer weather in Australia and no winter blues.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016

Not to get into the particulars of your decision to move to Down Under, can I ask did you struggle to establish yourself in terms of work in Canada? I ask that because I've also given it 4 years and struggled hence why because of that and family issues I came back to the UK for a breather.

Crazy how given my place of birth (UK), education and work history...that I still struggled to get even interviews, in a period of 12 weeks I sent 330 applications with 3 replies.....yes not all quality submissions but yep that takes a mental toll.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Not to get into the particulars of your decision to move to Down Under, can I ask did you struggle to establish yourself in terms of work in Canada? I ask that because I've also given it 4 years and struggled hence why because of that and family issues I came back to the UK for a breather.

Crazy how given my place of birth (UK), education and work history...that I still struggled to get even interviews, in a period of 12 weeks I sent 330 applications with 3 replies.....yes not all quality submissions but yep that takes a mental toll.
Canada simply doesn't have enough jobs. Less people, fewer businesses...

• Haha
Reactions: Cassiano

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Canada simply doesn't have enough jobs. Less people, fewer businesses...
Well it's got around 30-35 million people and yes they are spread out around a vast amount of land, although the bulk of the population is in the cities close to the border.
I'm just still scratching my head as to just exactly what recruiters want out there, very different to the UK market and even the thought process of managers which is work work work mainly, not to mention the annual leave per year for most places is terrible.
I will be more than likely coming back as I feel it's unfinished business to try and attack the job front again.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Well it's got around 30-35 million people and yes they are spread out around a vast amount of land, although the bulk of the population is in the cities close to the border.
I'm just still scratching my head as to just exactly what recruiters want out there, very different to the UK market and even the thought process of managers which is work work work mainly, not to mention the annual leave per year for most places is terrible.
I will be more than likely coming back as I feel it's unfinished business to try and attack the job front again.
Look south. I got so many emails from American recruiters every year even after I left the States...So much demand down the border especially IT sector.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018

I finished advanced degrees from Canada and have work experience in academia from Canada, but struggled a lot to secure a stable job. In a recent tweet to the minister of immigration, he acknowledged that he wasn't aware of the struggle until it was brought to his attention by an immigrant, because he was willing to listen to immigrants' experiences. Many have denied and will deny there is a problem for immigrants to find a conventional job in Canada, and this is part of the problem. If you don't acknowledge a problem, you cannot solve it. It's not as simple as if you as an immigrant try harder you will find a job. There is a systematic problem in Canada regarding immigrants and jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreamlad