+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship RQ - Need help on filling CIT 0171

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
Can you help to fill few questions starting with Q 11 on CIT 0171 (10-2013) E?

Relevant Period: FROM: 2010-05-01 TO: 2014-05-01

Q 11: During your relevant period, for each family member of your immediate family (e.g. spouse ,....children) provide legal citizenship/immigration status in the country the reside. Please include status in Canada ( if no status, include NA).

My wife became PR in Aug 10, 2009 after the landing in Toronto and then went back to home country where she was a Citizen. She came to live in Canada in Oct 05, 2011. So I believe I require two lines to answer Q 11 for her - 2010-05-01 to Oct 04, 2011 and Oct 05, 2011 to 2014-05-01. Please confirm.

Line 1:
Family Name, Given Name: FN, Wife
Status in Country where they reside: Citizen
Date status obtained outside Canada: Shall I enter her birthdate as she has been Citizen from birth or the From Relevant Period?
Status in Canada: PR or N/A ?? as she was not living in Canada from the Relevant period till Oct 1, 2011.
Date status obtained in Canada: Based on above Answer.

Line 2:
Status in Country where they reside: PR
Date status obtained outside Canada: Aug 10, 2009
Status in Canada: PR
Date status obtained in Canada: Aug 10, 2009

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sapguru said:
Oh Man! No Response.. looks like no one got an RQ

:eek:
many of us got RQ its just your situation is complicated :p some people doesn't want to give advise if they are not sure (you should be thankful) . well me too :p so better call MICC ;D

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An argument could be made for either approach. So it's up to you which way to go.

Argument for using one line: The question states "where they reside" in the present tense. Your wife presently resides in Canada. The question does not state "where they resided during the relevant period." Also, other RQ questions cover where your immediate family members lived during the relevant period so you are not withholding any info from CIC.

Argument for using two lines: It gives a very slightly fuller picture of your family's situation during the relevant period.

Personally I'm on the fence, but I would probably go with two lines.

However, your wife's status in Canada during the entire period was PR and not N/A. Even though she wasn't living here, you should list her as a PR because she was a PR. She was not in violation of her Residency Obligation and she had landed officially. Also, the date she became a PR was the date she landed, not the date she returned to Canada permanently.

Finally, yes, if she is a citizen by birth in her home country, her birth date would be the date of her legal status obtained outside Canada.

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
................. [b]Case Specific Enquiry[/b]: http://goo.gl/yCBCbB
sapguru said:
Line 1:
Status in Country where they reside: Citizen
Date status obtained outside Canada: Shall I enter her birthdate as she has been Citizen from birth or the From Relevant Period?
Status in Canada: PR or N/A ?? as she was not living in Canada from the Relevant period till Oct 1, 2011.
Date status obtained in Canada: Based on above Answer.

This section is about citizenship/immigration status in different countries. Absences are listed in previous sections; so no need repeat again here. So in my understanding just answer simple like this:

Family Name, Given Name | Status in Country where they reside | Date status obtained outside Canada | Status in Canada | Date status obtained in Canada

ABCD, XYZ | Citizen or Citizen, by/since birth | DoB | PR | Aug 10, 2009

She was still a PR. PR is a status which she held, even if travel/reside in another country until either revoked or renounced officially. I am not an expert but only my opinion.

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
Thanks eileenf and Donvalley for your valuable feedback.

I think the question requires to answer the immigration status in the country the family member resided during the relevant period. There was a typo in my first post and I have highlighted my current argument below. So if the family member resided in two countries, then it should be 2 rows here.

Q 11: During your relevant period, for each family member of your immediate family (e.g. spouse ,....children) provide legal citizenship/immigration status in the country they reside. Please include status in Canada ( if no status, include NA).

NOTE: I am planning NOT to enter any vacation/trip details that they made to home country during the relevant period.

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
sapguru said:
Thanks eileenf and Donvalley for your valuable feedback.

... So if the family member resided in two countries, then it should be 2 rows here.

NOTE: I am planning NOT to enter any vacation/trip details that they made to home country during the relevant period.
I don't think so..in my understanding the highlight here is immigration status and date in each country (against PR status at that time); not the country they reside. In more recent terminology "The Intent to stay" i.e. did the applicant get another visa/ status to move out after becoming PR.

Also clear from the fact that you have listed "where you lived in relevant period" (Q 9 & 10) in previous sections.

Going back and spending a few days in your previous home country is not as offensive as getting a PR/work visa to another country after becoming a PR. Well, if your status in one of the country changed in relevant period you have to put two rows otherwise I think not.

sapguru said:
Not here but in Section 7, you have to list everything vacation, business, study including day trips to US etc etc..

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
Thanks Again!

For Q 9 and Q 10, which asks for the places and duration where you and your family had LIVED, I was planning to skip the Vacation part. The reason is that I had mentioned about the Absences in the previous section.

I think I may have to call CIC for help. Do you know if they are able to help to fill up the forms?

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
sapguru said:
Thanks Again!

For Q 9 and Q 10, which asks for the places and duration where you and your family had LIVED, I was planning to skip the Vacation part. The reason is that I had mentioned about the Absences in the previous section.

I think I may have to call CIC for help. Do you know if they are able to help to fill up the forms?
Yes CIC do help but at times you will feel like it was much easy to look somewhere else due to busy line, long hold, waiting etc...

What I understand is Q 7 is particular about all trips where as Q 9 and Q 10 is where you lived. i.e. if you drive down to Buffalo in the morning and returned at five minutes to twelve midnight, that is a trip you list in Q7 but not in Q9 or Q10. Suppose, if you stayed there for weekend and returned Monday morning you must put it at Q7 & Q9 / Q10. Same applies to if you visit family back home during your relevant residency period for a week or two.

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
Q7 falls under "ABSENCES FROM CANADA" section and it asks for Passport stamps, visa, permits, etc. So it makes sense to provide all absences (day trip, overnight trip, long vacation, etc.) in this section.

Q9, Q10 and Q11 falls under "HOME AND FAMILY TIES" section and it asks for proofs like Rental/Lease/Property doc, etc. So it does not make much sense to put the Trip information in this section.

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
I have one more clarification request for Q1 of RQ. It states -

What was your arrival date in Canada (the date on which you first came to Canada to live or the date on which you became a Permanent Resident of Canada) and what was your status (permanent resident, visitor, student, worker, refugee, etc) ?

I came to Canada as landed immigrant in Aug 2009. However, I stayed for 1 week only and then went to home country due to family and work reasons. I came to live in Canada in April 20, 2011. In such case, would the answer to this question be Aug 10, 2009 or April 20, 2011?

I was thinking about April 20, 2011.

Then I checked the online Residency Calculator and it asks same question -
A. Enter the date when you first came to Canada to live.
B. Enter the date you became a permanent resident of Canada.

When I entered April 20, 2011 in A. and Aug 10, 2009 in B., then it gave me error message that - The date when you first came to Canada to live (A) must be the same as or before the date you became a permanent resident (B).

Based on this message, I would think Aug 10, 2009 is the anwer of Q1 of RQ.

Any feedback?
:'(

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sapguru said:
Can you help to fill few questions starting with Q 11 on CIT 0171 (10-2013) E?
Finally CIC gave you a cake ! Good luck

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sapguru said:
I have one more clarification request for Q1 of RQ. It states -

What was your arrival date in Canada (the date on which you first came to Canada to live or the date on which you became a Permanent Resident of Canada) and what was your status (permanent resident, visitor, student, worker, refugee, etc) ?

I came to Canada as landed immigrant in Aug 2009. However, I stayed for 1 week only and then went to home country due to family and work reasons. I came to live in Canada in April 20, 2011. In such case, would the answer to this question be Aug 10, 2009 or April 20, 2011?

I was thinking about April 20, 2011.

Then I checked the online Residency Calculator and it asks same question -
A. Enter the date when you first came to Canada to live.
B. Enter the date you became a permanent resident of Canada.

When I entered April 20, 2011 in A. and Aug 10, 2009 in B., then it gave me error message that - The date when you first came to Canada to live (A) must be the same as or before the date you became a permanent resident (B).

Based on this message, I would think Aug 10, 2009 is the anwer of Q1 of RQ.

Any feedback?
:'(
Q1A is usually the same as Q1B.
Q1B is never earlier than Q1A.
Q1A is only earlier than Q1B if you lived here on a temporary basis (worker, student, visitor, refugee claimant, etc).

A PR's landing is their arrival date in Canada except in cases like mine (I was here as a grad student and then on a work visa for 4 years before I became a PR.) Once a Permanent Resident lands they are claiming their right to permanently reside in Canada from that moment forward, thus the CIC counts the moment of landing as the moment when they began permanently residing in Canada (unless they were temporarily residing in Canada previously). At the moment of landing, the clock is ticking for compliance with the residency obligation (2 out of 5 years). A PR cannot pause the clock by immediately leaving Canada.