+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Interview Question

DSA888

Nov 21, 2018
Hello guys,

I saw a long speech about how people who don't intend to stay in Canada after Citizenship are somehow dishonest.

"For those who go into the process of becoming a PR with a plan to stay long enough to get citizenship and then relocate elsewhere, that's fraud."

For people affected by these statements, don't be alarmed.

The "fraud" statement is simply incorrect. Bill C-6 in the parliament was passed precisely to

(b) remove the requirement that an applicant intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in Canada

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/bill/c-6/royal-assent

Don't let anyone tell you how Canadian you are. Have faith in the system. The best thing about Canada is freedom of expression and rule of law. Anyone can say or believe in what they want but the law is the law.

Regards,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello guys,

I saw a long speech about how people who don't intend to stay in Canada after Citizenship are somehow dishonest.

"For those who go into the process of becoming a PR with a plan to stay long enough to get citizenship and then relocate elsewhere, that's fraud."

For people affected by these statements, don't be alarmed.

The "fraud" statement is simply incorrect. Bill C-6 in the parliament was passed precisely to

(b) remove the requirement that an applicant intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in Canada

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/bill/c-6/royal-assent

Don't let anyone tell you how Canadian you are. Have faith in the system. The best thing about Canada is freedom of expression and rule of law. Anyone can say or believe in what they want but the law is the law.

Regards,
The misrepresentation in "becoming a PR with a plan to stay long enough to get citizenship and then relocate elsewhere" is about the representations a Foreign National makes in the process of applying for and becoming a PR.

Has nothing to do with any version of the Citizenship Act.

It is something officials sometimes PERCEIVE about citizenship applicants, but even when they do suspect this there is almost no likelihood it in particular will be investigated let alone prosecuted.

HOWEVER, for individuals applying for citizenship, if the circumstances contribute to officials getting that perception of the applicant, that their plan was to obtain PR status and stay long enough to get Canadian citizenship, and relocate elsewhere, that can and historically has triggered questions, and depending on other factors that can lead to suspicions and elevated scrutiny, including RQ-related non-routine processing.

The provisions in IRPA (Immigration and Refugee Protection Act) and IRPR (Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations), as I have previously cited and linked, mandate that to become a PR the individual must be coming to Canada to establish permanent residence, and scores of IAD and Federal Court decisions solidly affirm that a grant of PR is for the individual to settle and live in Canada PERMANENTLY.

For those who go into the process of becoming a PR with a plan to stay long enough to get citizenship and then relocate elsewhere, that's fraud. Being eligible for PR requires having a truthful intent to settle in Canada PERMANENTLY. Even after the grant of PR status is approved, the officer is to issue the PR visa only if it is established that "the foreign national is coming to Canada to establish permanent residence." This is prescribed by Section 70(1) in the Regulations (should link). Similar provision for inland applicants; Section 72(1).
Again, this is about the process of becoming a PR. It is not about requirements to become a citizen. It has no effect on anyone who is a citizen (including naturalized citizens).

By the way, the law does impose penalties, civil and criminal, some quite severe, for making misrepresentations in various contexts. Freedom of expression does not apply to fraud. (Among a range of other limitations Canadian law imposes on expression.) The rule of law cuts both ways.

Also note: my observations are in no way moralizing or judgmental. I am laser focused on how things actually work, to illustrate and illuminate aspects of the process which can be problematic, so that applicants can make informed decisions and better navigate the system.

Even if officials do not perceive overt dishonesty, if a citizenship applicant's circumstances give the impression they are exploiting the Canadian immigration system, no advanced degrees in psychology or sociology necessary to recognize that will significantly increase the risk of elevated scrutiny if not outright skepticism or suspicion. And no rocket science necessary to map the trajectory of where that tends to go in terms of how the process unfolds.

My sense is that many of those who attack recognizing the influence of these factors are actually coming from an anti-immigrant posture. It is as if they do not want applicants to know and understand how the process actually works and how to avoid or prepare for pitfalls.

Prospective citizenship applicants, and current applicants, should be aware of the additional procedural risks involved if they are abroad for such extended period of time a total stranger bureaucrat suspects their motives, and in particular (the subject of this topic) applicants should be aware that if they are abroad for an extended period of time they may be questioned about that in an interview.

This is why anecdotal reports like that posted by @Mahyar85 are so valuable and appreciated. They offer a glimpse of what actually happens, what questions are actually asked.

For anyone who persists in denying that being abroad can be and is sometimes questioned, including "why" questions, see again:

I want to share my interview expreince
So i had my interview just now.
I have been asked to show my documents on webcam .
She looked at my pp translation . She had an issue with one date . ( it was very stressful ) but somehow we managed to solve that.
Then she asked me why i have been out of the country for a long time and i explained the reason which was covid. But she said you should have come back to canada to get your vaccination. She said it gives me the impression that you dont want to stay in canada eventhough my physical presence is 1362 days. I explained my reason that im going to start my business over here and planning to stay in canada.
Then she asked me more about my job whether im employed or unemplyed.
at the end of the interview i asked if my interview went OK? She said yes . Then she said Everything looks ok but she has to review more and if she wants more information then she will either call or email me for extra documents
That all . Hope it helps the other people that have an interview
I think everything looks ok and i should wait for my tracker to update

DSA888

Nov 21, 2018
Citizenship Act has everything to do with Citizenship applications. And that is what this thread is about.

The context here is the process of citizenship application, not permanent residence. Everything you say - which is YOUR opinion and not a fact or law - about fraud and this that applies at PR stage. We are past that. This thread is literally about Citizenship interview. Stick to that.

Sure living abroad can attract additional questions. So you should try to offer helpful advice instead of trying to scare them with comments all over the place.

Anyway, I wanted to write to other people here. Yes, there can be added scrutiny but trust the system and the officials. Don't lie.

Mahyar85

Star Member
Jan 10, 2022
Citizenship Act has everything to do with Citizenship applications. And that is what this thread is about.

The context here is the process of citizenship application, not permanent residence. Everything you say - which is YOUR opinion and not a fact or law - about fraud and this that applies at PR stage. We are past that. This thread is literally about Citizenship interview. Stick to that.

Sure living abroad can attract additional questions. So you should try to offer helpful advice instead of trying to scare them with comments all over the place.

Anyway, I wanted to write to other people here. Yes, there can be added scrutiny but trust the system and the officials. Don't lie.
I agree with you. My issue was not big. I think he made a big deal out of my situation. I did not relocate . I just had to visit my parents and i came back to canada. Sure the interviewer has a right to ask me why and i did explain that to her. But he coming up with RQ forms or whatever does not help me calm down and adds more stress to what i have already since i applied in 2019 and a month and 2 weeks passed from my interview with no update.
People in this group gather to talk and try to calm each other down not trying to add more unnecessary stress which we all aready have.
We all met requirement to become citizens

Reactions: Dreamlad

DSA888

Nov 21, 2018
During the past 12 years. I have applied for study permits, TR visas, Off Campus Work permits, Post graduate work permit, PR and now Citizenship. Its always stressful because it takes so much time. I totally get it. Its not like you have any issues with your application, the long wait just adds anxiety.

My 2 cents: I had an interview while I was out of country. They told me right off the start that since I am out of Country they just want to verify ID. I dont know if I was asked but the reason behind me being out of country did come up. I was out because my dad unexpectedly passed away after a 3 month illness. I told them that and said I will come back for oath. I got an oath invite shortly after.

In the tracker, I see that it takes anywhere from 2 days to 1 month for oath to be scheduled after interview. I may be wrong in reading it but you should check it out. Good luck!

Mahyar85

Star Member
Jan 10, 2022
During the past 12 years. I have applied for study permits, TR visas, Off Campus Work permits, Post graduate work permit, PR and now Citizenship. Its always stressful because it takes so much time. I totally get it. Its not like you have any issues with your application, the long wait just adds anxiety.
Thank you . Also sorry to hear that your dad passed.
my condolences

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It needs to be made clear that the attacks against me mischaracterize my posts, misstate the law, and misrepresent how the process actually works. The subject here is not about me, should not be about me; in this particular topic it is about the scope of questions an applicant may be asked in an interview.

As is typical in this forum, following a post reporting questions about being located abroad, including "why" questions, including post-application location and employment questions, just the fact that such questions are asked was challenged and ridiculed. This forum is rife with unfounded and erroneous assertions that IRCC is or should be prohibited from asking such questions.

No surprise, my effort to illuminate and explain that such questions are common, typical, not improper, and for those abroad for extended periods of time, are questions that are to be more or less expected, brought out the usual suspects, now plus some, attacking me for simply clarifying that yes, questions about the applicant's life after applying can be and sometimes are asked, and for applicants abroad for an extended period of time it is more likely such questions will be asked.

I have made a concerted effort to put the discussion in context; among things I have repeated in various ways is this:
"It warrants emphasizing that the vast majority of qualified applicants have little or nothing to worry about. This includes those who are abroad after applying (subject, of course, to their continuing to meet all the requirements, including compliance with the Residency Obligation and appropriately showing up for scheduled events)."​

As I have said, repeated, including in a larger font for emphasis:

The basics are simple, and have been repeated often:
-- there is nothing that prohibits citizenship applicants from living abroad after applying for citizenship
-- a citizenship application cannot be denied because the applicant was living abroad after applying, but
-- extended time abroad after applying can raise concerns and result in questions, and potentially lead to non-routine processing, ranging from minimal increased scrutiny involving additional factual inquiries, to RQ-related non-routine processing which, in turn, can involve investigatory inquiries, even referrals to CBSA's NSSD for more extensive and intensive background investigation

For example follow link in this post:
The basics are simple . . .
There, in that post, and elsewhere, in an effort to be clear, I summarized:

SUMMARY: Applicants who are abroad while their application is pending should anticipate and prepare to be questioned more extensively, and the scope of questions asked can include questions about their residence or employment AFTER applying. Qualified applicants have little or nothing to fear, but given the likely higher risk of RQ-related non-routine processing, perhaps a good idea to be even more prepared (than most applicants), if asked, to submit objective evidence documenting their actual physical presence.

And along the way I added (and in various way repeated):

To Be Clear: There is NO Indication That IRCC Punishes or Penalizes Citizenship Applicants for Living Abroad After Applying.

While it is said that my posts are "opinion" (it should be noted, however, not all opinions are created equal), actually the key elements stated above, and most of the supporting propositions in my explanations, are either well established law (like "there is nothing that prohibits citizenship applicants from living abroad after applying for citizenship," and "a citizenship application cannot be denied because the applicant was living abroad after applying"), with which it appears no one here disagrees, or observations (not opinion) about what actually happens, based on factual reporting, including anecdotal reports like those here acknowledging that yes, indeed, questions about after-applying location, residence, employment, and related matters (even "why"), are asked in interviews, but also including what is reported in officially published accounts of actual cases in Federal Court decisions. I do the homework.

So the question is what actually is objectionable about what I have posted? It's not exactly a brain teaser.

It is not because I reiterate and emphasize that the majority of applicants have little or nothing to worry about, including those who are abroad after applying.

It is not because I reference the obvious: that questions about location, residence, and employment after-applying are sometimes asked, and more likely to be asked of applicants abroad for an extended period of time. (Some of those who find my posts objectionable report this themselves.)

It is not because I describe the risk of additional questions as typically minimal, and that applicants can rest assured the scope of inquiry will depend on the merits of their case, based on the facts, and be rationally and reasonably commensurate with what the facts in their case indicate.

-- Noting: all of the above are important. --​

It may seem, and some seem to say, that what is objectionable about my posts is the caution that SOME applicants, if and when there are additional facts or circumstances suggesting a reason-to-question-presence, might be subject to more probing inquiries, elevated scrutiny, and potentially inconvenient if not problematic non-routine processing that, for some, can pose substantial difficulty. Which as a caution, which given the reality of RQ-related non-routine processing and referrals to CBSA's NSSD for investigation, is information the prudent applicant will generally want.

But what is really objectionable about this caution is the explanation for who, when, and why there can be an increased risk of the process going beyond a few additional questions, to more questions and depending on the responses to those questions, leading to doubts, and then potentially concerns, and for some to skepticism and suspicion, with a predictable trajectory. The explanation for this is what draws the challenges, the attacks, the derision.

But there is no dodging that reality: Those playing games, abusing the system, hiding something, or for whom their particular circumstances reveal further reason-to-question-presence, sure, if the fact they are abroad triggers a closer look and if in taking a closer look the total stranger bureaucrat processing the application sees reason-to-question-presence, yep, then there is a present risk of elevated scrutiny, and more significantly, the more the particular individual's situation indicates reasons-to-question-presence, the greater the scope and extent of additional inquiry and processing. This does not apply to the vast majority of applicants, even among those abroad for extended periods of time. For those it does apply to, well, it really is what it is, and the risks are real. And there are ways to prepare to navigate the process better, to deal with RQ if and when it happens for example.

I rarely say or expect anyone to trust me, but the law is so well established it is safe to say trust me:
-- there is nothing that prohibits citizenship applicants from living abroad after applying for citizenship​
-- a citizenship application cannot be denied because the applicant was living abroad after applying​

And there really is no doubt that IRCC's interviews of citizenship applicants quite often ask about location, residence, and employment after-applying. Beyond that, whether the applicant's answers suffice or there is further inquiry will depend on the applicant's answers, the situation, and a range of other factors. Nothing for anyone to get stressed about . . . unless, of course, they know there is cause to worry in their particular case.

• Angry
Reactions: Richaki

Zion786

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
I got an email to appear in person for an Interview. I did my citizenship test 5 months ago, got 19/20. Is this going to cause an additional delay?

iceman55

May 1, 2022
I got an email to appear in person for an Interview. I did my citizenship test 5 months ago, got 19/20. Is this going to cause an additional delay?
Nothing unusual, it's just a sign your application is moving to the next step. All the best.

Acorn450

Star Member
Jun 1, 2022
I got a note on my tracker that I have an interview on Aug 16. I have no idea whether it will be in-person or online. Right now I am really hoping for online.

Did you see an update on your tracker before you got the email invite? Just wondering when my email might arrive.