+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for non-resident?

Maeve

Feb 28, 2010
My husband is Canadian, but we are living in the US. We don't have any current plans to immigrate, but from what I understand I should be eligable for citizenship through marriage? (We've been married about a year and a half)

Just wondering if anyone know if I can start the process now or if I have to wait. I'm guessing that it takes a while, but I'd like to get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
No, you do not receive citizenship through marriage. Canadian citizenship requires you to hqve physical residence in Canada for 3 years, and at least 2 out of the 3 years have to be spent in Canada as permanent resident. To become a citizen, your husband has to sponsor you to become Permanent resident first, and then you can move to Canada to fulfill the residency requirement to be a PR.

Forms and are available through CIC website under Family class sponsorship.
www.cic.gc.ca

haman

Apr 9, 2010
You can not be a citizen without living in Canada for 3 years. What you can become is a PR and then can apply for citizenship if and only if you live in Canada 1095 days out of last 4 years from the day you apply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can start the process now of your husband sponsoring you for permanent residency (like a green card) in Canada but you would be asked to show plans/proof of your intentions to move to Canada when you get your PR.

As other people have said, you would not be able to apply for citizenship until you had lived in Canada for 1095 days as a PR.