+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for adopted child

MarySc

Jul 31, 2010
Hello everyone. I'm new here and Im impressed with most of the advice given. My situation is this: I am married to my Canadian husband for 10 years and we reside in the Caribbean. We currently have no intention to move to Canada, since we own a business here. He has formally adopted my 14 year old daughter from a previous relationship and we have 2 of our own, who have Canadian citizenship. I have read on the CIC site about overseas adopted shildren receiving Canadian citizenship, once it can be established that all relationshsip with bio parents have been severed. Nowhere does it make mention, though of instances of stepchild adoptions. I have done a lot of searching on the interent, but cannot find anything pertaining to my case. I even called the embassy in my area and was told by a CIC officer that I should go ahead and apply, since the rule is not too specific in that regard. She implied that she wasn't sure if my daughter was eligible or not, and that I wouldn't know unless I applied. However, I would hate to go though that long process not knowing if my daughter's appication will be accepted. She would be so dissappointed if she is deemed inegible. Is anyone here familiar with or has any experience with this situation. I would be extremely grateful for any feedback. Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/cp/cp14-eng.pdf and read on page 9, it says:

In the case of an adoption by a step parent, we do not expect the relationship with the remaining biological or legal parent to be severed, only the ties with the parent who is being replaced must be fully severed.
Another thing to take into account is if she can have dual citizenship. Some countries don't allow it or allow it only in cases where you are born as a dual citizen. It's not a problem for Canada but the country where she currently has citizenship might object.

MarySc

Jul 31, 2010
Thanks so much for that link. She has not had any contact with bio father for 11 years, so this should work fine. It would not be a problem since my country allows dual citizenship. My younger daughters by my husband have both citizenship.