+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application form - eligibility period

Live life

May 6, 2017
Hello,

I entered Canada as a PR 3 years ago and have been staying in Canada continuously without any breaks. I want to apply for citizenship as as my residency period of 1,095 days is completed. In the citizenship application form, most questions are related to the eligibility period. Can someone confirm that the eligibility period in my case will be the past 3 years and not 5 years.
Appreciate confirmation for someone who understand this situation

thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

I entered Canada as a PR 3 years ago and have been staying in Canada continuously without any breaks. I want to apply for citizenship as as my residency period of 1,095 days is completed. In the citizenship application form, most questions are related to the eligibility period. Can someone confirm that the eligibility period in my case will be the past 3 years and not 5 years.
Appreciate confirmation for someone who understand this situation

thanks
On the contrary, it can be confirmed that the eligibility period for ALL grant citizenship applicants is the past FIVE (5) YEARS based on the date the application is made (signature date). Yours included.

In the current version of the application (that is CIT 0002 (10-2020), which is new since last month even though the version is dated for October 2020), item 9, first item in the section titled "ASSESSING YOUR ELIGIBILITY," will AUTOMATICALLY fill in "Your five (5) year eligibility period" based on the date the applicant enters in the "To" field . . . that is, as long as the applicant is filling in the form in Acrobat (which is how it should be done) the applicant cannot enter the "From" date, only entering the "To" date. This "To" date MUST be the day BEFORE the signature date. In fact, the form will alert the applicant if the signature date is not exactly one day after the "To" date entered in item 9.

This means the applicant must also provide address and employment history for the FULL FIVE (5) years, even if part of that period was prior to the first time the applicant came to Canada.

For link to application see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-adults.html

Note regarding this: "Appreciate confirmation for someone who understand this situation"

The link posted by @engray, which may seem blunt or cryptic, is apropos. Anyone who can read English or French should easily "understand this situation" . . . all they need to do is read the instructions. Regarding which, make no mistake, anyone and everyone considering applying for Canadian citizenship, should read, read for themselves, ALL the instructions . . . ALL the instructions in the guide, in the application form itself, and those in the online Actual Physical Presence calculator.

I realize it seems trite to repeat the admonition to read the instructions, and of course it should go without saying, but the most common cause of errors and problems in making citizenship applications is related to or directly arises from the failure to follow the instructions. Probably by a big margin. Most problems come from failing to follow the instructions.

So, at the risk of seeming a bore, I will repeat: "If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions."

Live life

May 6, 2017
On the contrary, it can be confirmed that the eligibility period for ALL grant citizenship applicants is the past FIVE (5) YEARS based on the date the application is made (signature date). Yours included.

In the current version of the application (that is CIT 0002 (10-2020), which is new since last month even though the version is dated for October 2020), item 9, first item in the section titled "ASSESSING YOUR ELIGIBILITY," will AUTOMATICALLY fill in "Your five (5) year eligibility period" based on the date the applicant enters in the "To" field . . . that is, as long as the applicant is filling in the form in Acrobat (which is how it should be done) the applicant cannot enter the "From" date, only entering the "To" date. This "To" date MUST be the day BEFORE the signature date. In fact, the form will alert the applicant if the signature date is not exactly one day after the "To" date entered in item 9.

This means the applicant must also provide address and employment history for the FULL FIVE (5) years, even if part of that period was prior to the first time the applicant came to Canada.

For link to application see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-adults.html

Note regarding this: "Appreciate confirmation for someone who understand this situation"

The link posted by @engray, which may seem blunt or cryptic, is apropos. Anyone who can read English or French should easily "understand this situation" . . . all they need to do is read the instructions. Regarding which, make no mistake, anyone and everyone considering applying for Canadian citizenship, should read, read for themselves, ALL the instructions . . . ALL the instructions in the guide, in the application form itself, and those in the online Actual Physical Presence calculator.

I realize it seems trite to repeat the admonition to read the instructions, and of course it should go without saying, but the most common cause of errors and problems in making citizenship applications is related to or directly arises from the failure to follow the instructions. Probably by a big margin. Most problems come from failing to follow the instructions.

So, at the risk of seeming a bore, I will repeat: "If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions."
Thanks very much for your elaborate explanation.

Would you also be able to advise how would I fill up my residency calculator for the 2 years before I landed in Canada. To record absences I note that one has to provide country, date of exit and date of entry into Canada. Here I will need to combine the absence during the 2 years into 1 entry?

thanks again

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Would you also be able to advise how would I fill up my residency calculator for the 2 years before I landed in Canada. To record absences I note that one has to provide country, date of exit and date of entry into Canada. Here I will need to combine the absence during the 2 years into 1 entry?

thanks again
I have not played with the current online physical presence calculator. In the past, not so long ago, it was OK to just list the first exit from Canada as the first trip, and the online calculator accurately processed the information.

But this goes back to following the instructions. Following the instructions as best you can, following the instructions according to YOUR best understanding of them.

But sure, sometimes something does not look right or the output is obviously off or it will not work. It is OK to play with the forms and the online presence calculator. Try different approaches. Experiment. Just follow the instructions as best you can figure out. Figure out what works. You can look at the numbers, for example, and figure out if the output is right or off in some way.

Of course make sure, in what you finally do, in the final version, the one you submit, that you stick to what is TRUE. Make sure to compare the output with what makes sense.

Mostly WORK YOUR WAY through it. Following the instructions. If you do that, then check what is in the output, carefully, and you can see that all the information is as accurate as YOU can discern, odds are very good you have done it in a way that works, odds are good it will be OK.

Live life

May 6, 2017

I have not played with the current online physical presence calculator. In the past, not so long ago, it was OK to just list the first exit from Canada as the first trip, and the online calculator accurately processed the information.

But this goes back to following the instructions. Following the instructions as best you can, following the instructions according to YOUR best understanding of them.

But sure, sometimes something does not look right or the output is obviously off or it will not work. It is OK to play with the forms and the online presence calculator. Try different approaches. Experiment. Just follow the instructions as best you can figure out. Figure out what works. You can look at the numbers, for example, and figure out if the output is right or off in some way.

Of course make sure, in what you finally do, in the final version, the one you submit, that you stick to what is TRUE. Make sure to compare the output with what makes sense.

Mostly WORK YOUR WAY through it. Following the instructions. If you do that, then check what is in the output, carefully, and you can see that all the information is as accurate as YOU can discern, odds are very good you have done it in a way that works, odds are good it will be OK.
I appreciate your feedback and time taken to explain. Thanks a lot and God bless