+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Adress

GMTD1987

Jul 9, 2018
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone else has been in this situation - was living in Canada for 5 and a half years and was a permanent resident. I have since moved back to Ireland, my home country, and applied for citizenship last year while I still met the criteria.

I'm just after receiving correspondence from CIC saying that is in necessary to provide a Canadian address, and as my current address is outside of canada, my file was removed to follow up. And in order to continue processing, they required a Canadian address (to determine which local citizenship office will be responsible for the events).

What have people done here? I can provide an address of friends but is this alright and acceptable to do? I mean, there isn't anything wrong with applying for citizenship while not in the country.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

alienzz-00

Star Member
May 8, 2019
Unfortunately IRCC doesn't accept or mail anything to addresses outside of Canada and Canada Post doesn't forward anything from the IRCC.

On the application form you can provide a different mailing address from your home address so you can try that but I would confirm with them first, that they would be ok with it. The mailing address you provide ie the Canadian one would dictate where your application will be processed so it should be somewhere you can get back to for your test/interview and your ceremony later on.