+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

child was born outside of Canada to a single father

mrajasingham

Dec 19, 2009
I am a single father who is a naturalized Canadian citizen living in the USA currently. My child was born outside of Canada and she is 6 months old. I would like to know what would be the fastest way to bring my child to Canada and later to the USA. It is difficult to obtain a passport from the country of birth for my child. She is currently with my parents who are old and can’t care for her as she is growing fast. Do I have any option? I have applied for citizenship certificate 2 months ago. I have not heard anything. Desperate father need help

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mrajasingham said:
I am a single father who is a naturalized Canadian citizen living in the USA currently. My child was born outside of Canada and she is 6 months old. I would like to know what would be the fastest way to bring my child to Canada and later to the USA. It is difficult to obtain a passport from the country of birth for my child. She is currently with my parents who are old and can't care for her as she is growing fast. Do I have any option? I have applied for citizenship certificate 2 months ago. I have not heard anything. Desperate father need help
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

PMM

mrajasingham

Dec 19, 2009
Thanks a million for the reply. The article was very helpful. Do you know where I apply for the emergency passport, Can I apply in Canada. Where are the forms available? I just came back from India after visiting with my daughter; it would be difficult to go back to India to apply.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mrajasingham said:
Thanks a million for the reply. The article was very helpful. Do you know where I apply for the emergency passport, Can I apply in Canada. Where are the forms available? I just came back from India after visiting with my daughter; it would be difficult to go back to India to apply.
The forms are available on line http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/index.aspx If she has an Indian passport, you can apply for a facilitation visa which probably would be easier. You know that you will probably have to prove that you have custody of the child as well.

PMM

mrajasingham

Dec 19, 2009
She does not have an Indian passport. Since this was surrogacy it would be difficult to get my daughter her passport in India. The mother’s name is on the Birth certificate and she is an Indian national and willing to cooperate with the paper work. I would like to avoid dealing with the embassy in New Delhi (India) Do you have any suggestion. How do I show of citizenship since I do not have citizenship certificate. What other document can I provide when I do apply for the passport for my daughter?

mrajasingham

Dec 19, 2009
After great difficulty I was able to get her an Indian passport. I am a Canadian citizen. I was wondering if I would be eligible to apply for facilitation visa for her. Can I apply for this visa in Canada? Where would I get the forms? I do not want to apply for the emergency Canadian passport in India, I was told it Takes time and require DNA testing.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Karlshammar said:
I believe you need to apply for a passport before they will issue a visa.
The OP was told previously that he would have to adopt the child first. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf Section 5.14

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Karlshammar said:
Why, exactly, would he adopt his own child? :)
Because it was a surrogacy birth.

"If the child was born through a surrogacy arrangement, however, the child will legally be the child of the
surrogate mother who gave birth until a subsequent adoption occurs that would create a legal
parent/child relationship."

PMM

mrajasingham

Dec 19, 2009
since I am the father, there is need to adopt the child. the birthcert and the child's passport say that I am the father. why would I still have to adopt. the surrogate mother or the egg donner does not have any claim to the child. They are two different people. the DNA will be the Unknown donner and myself

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ah, I missed the part about the surrogacy birth. If he is on the birth certificate it might work anyway, though. I think the surrogacy rule refers to the mother, not the father.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
you can always try. you need to go to the Canadian consulate and ask them or phone cic for an advice.