Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
I landed in January 2014 so not even completed one year but need to change my name on my PR Card to reflect my married name.
I have all my Canadian docs changed over (driving license, health card etc) but not my UK passport yet - in the PR application, I have to send additional docs to support my name change including some in my new name (I have all of these) but including passport is mandatory. Is it ok that it's still in my maiden name? It will be changed but PR card takes considerably longer so I want to get it sent to CIC asap.
Thanks!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
lpc19800 said:
I landed in January 2014 so not even completed one year but need to change my name on my PR Card to reflect my married name.
I have all my Canadian docs changed over (driving license, health card etc) but not my UK passport yet - in the PR application, I have to send additional docs to support my name change including some in my new name (I have all of these) but including passport is mandatory. Is it ok that it's still in my maiden name? It will be changed but PR card takes considerably longer so I want to get it sent to CIC asap.
Thanks!
Airlines will not accept PR cards if it doesn't match your Passport name. But since you are from UK, you could get away with it but "traveling" to Canada for a visit. You don't mention about being a permanent resident. Just show your UK passport with maiden name and board the plane. Show your PR card with your marriage name when you re-enter Canada to confirm your PR status. The question is will Canada border agent give you a hassle at the border for having two different names. That I don't know. Which goes back to my original point. Name on PR Card and Passport must be the same.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
Thanks for your reply but I'm not asking about travel :)
I'm asking if CIC will accept my passport with my maiden name for the change on my PR card or if I have to change my passport first and then my PR card

deliver

Jul 22, 2013
what if we have been maried in quebec and we cant legally change name in this province?

i've been maried recently and all my canadian document are on my maiden name. i didnt try to change my name on my RP card

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deliver said:
what if we have been maried in quebec and we cant legally change name in this province?

i've been maried recently and all my canadian document are on my maiden name. i didnt try to change my name on my RP card
Yes, people can continue use their maiden name. Why bother to change their names to reflect the married name?

deliver

Jul 22, 2013
steaky said:
Yes, people can continue use their maiden name. Why bother to change their names to reflect the married name?
My probleme is my name on passport has to be changed and now i have my maiden name + my husband's name. But in my PR card, its only my maiden name. is it gonne be a problem when i travel?

i dont want to change all my offical doc in canada.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lpc19800 said:
Thanks for your reply but I'm not asking about travel :)
I'm asking if CIC will accept my passport with my maiden name for the change on my PR card or if I have to change my passport first and then my PR card
CIC will accept it as is. In case you plan to change your UK passport to reflect your new name take note if doing this from Canada or anywhere outside the UK now requires you to send your application to the Durham Passport Office. Total cost including courier delivery back is 102 sterling. Its meant to take 3-4 weeks but UK Passport Office in a mess now with significant delays even for in country applicants. Alternative is when you are next in the UK either apply then via mail, Post Office check and send, or in person but make an appointment.

deliver said:
My probleme is my name on passport has to be changed and now i have my maiden name + my husband's name. But in my PR card, its only my maiden name. is it gonne be a problem when i travel?

i dont want to change all my offical doc in canada.
Your travel concerns are:

(i) boarding the airline - carrier doesn't care about your name situation subject to at least one name (not the first name) being on both the passport and the PR Card. They may have a concern if your maiden name is your middle name but CBSA won't fine them if you show up at the border and get bounced (whic you won't but th eairline doesn't necessarily know that).

(ii) Entry into Canada - CBSA have your details on file so they can verify your name situation in relation to your marital status.

As per screech339 your options are influenced to a great extent on the passport you hold and if this confers visitor visa free entry into Canada subject to meeting the 'name' criteria of the carrier to board you.

Carry your marriage certificate as it may smooth out any issues that arise.