+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of citizenship after I-140 approved. How to enter back into US?

ask345

Jul 20, 2022
I am an Indian citizen working in the US on h1b visa. My I-140 was approved in 2021. I am still in the US on h1b. Meanwhile I became Canadian Permanent Resident and I am thinking of moving to Canada. In 3 years I will be eligible for Canadian citizenship.
If I became a Canadian citizen and eventually if I want to move back to US then can I come back on h1b because my I-140 is approved?
Does change in your citizenship affect your I-140. Can an employer pick up my h1b as I am Cap-exempted and enter back to the US?
Has anybody gone through this before? Thanks!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I am an Indian citizen working in the US on h1b visa. My I-140 was approved in 2021. I am still in the US on h1b. Meanwhile I became Canadian Permanent Resident and I am thinking of moving to Canada. In 3 years I will be eligible for Canadian citizenship.
If I became a Canadian citizen and eventually if I want to move back to US then can I come back on h1b because my I-140 is approved?
Does change in your citizenship affect your I-140. Can an employer pick up my h1b as I am Cap-exempted and enter back to the US?
Has anybody gone through this before? Thanks!
Yes, there are no issues. you can go back on approved i140 even after you take your citizenship and there is no affect, you can still reuse your priority date when its current.

Jun 4, 2023
Becoming a Canadian citizen, will it have any additional benefit in I-140? Will we have any changes in effect for country vise quota? If i am an Indian citizen having approved I-140 and if i am moving to Canada and become canadian Citizen should i again aply for TA VISA to come back to USA? What is the best approach to get GC quickly?

wink

May 25, 2021
Becoming a Canadian citizen, will it have any additional benefit in I-140? Will we have any changes in effect for country vise quota?
No. It depends on where you were born and not based on what passport you hold...
If your wife or kids are born in some other country (other than India, China, Mexico, Philipines, USA) , it would help.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
No. It depends on where you were born and not based on what passport you hold...
If your wife or kids are born in some other country (other than India, China, Mexico, Philipines, USA) , it would help.

Interesting, my 140 is approved and I will become Canadian citizen next month. As you mentioned how having a kid born in USA help me with US GC ?

wink

May 25, 2021
Interesting, my 140 is approved and I will become Canadian citizen next month. As you mentioned how having a kid born in USA help me with US GC ?
No, it won't.
I put US on the list of countries that may NOT help with quicker GC. Perhaps that may be longest duration to get GC :)
Sorry if it was not clear...

Reactions: Rawhide