+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change name after mariage - quebec

deliver

Jul 22, 2013
hi there,

i've recently become a PR (QSW). My marital statut is actually single but my canadian born boyfriend and i decided to marry this summer.

Since we're gonna marry in quebec, i'm not allowed to have my husband's last name, so i'm gonne keep mine. This is perfect. But in my home country, women are not allowed to keep their maiden name. So when i'll be married, i will have to change my passport & birth certificate with my new last name. My concern is all my immigration documents are and are gonne be (since i'm in quebec) with my maiden name, however my passport will be with my husband's last name.

Is it a problem? How can it affect my future citizenship application?

p.s. i wanna keep maiden name....

Thanks for your answers!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

deliver said:
hi there,

i've recently become a PR (QSW). My marital statut is actually single but my canadian born boyfriend and i decided to marry this summer.

Since we're gonna marry in quebec, i'm not allowed to have my husband's last name, so i'm gonne keep mine. This is perfect. But in my home country, women are not allowed to keep their maiden name. So when i'll be married, i will have to change my passport & birth certificate with my new last name. My concern is all my immigration documents are and are gonne be (since i'm in quebec) with my maiden name, however my passport will be with my husband's last name.

Is it a problem? How can it affect my future citizenship application?

p.s. i wanna keep maiden name....

Thanks for your answers!
1. First of all, I doubt that you change your birth certificate.
2. You carry your PR card and a copy of your marriage certificate. It shows your maiden name, marriage and your passport shows your marriage name.

rags_ma2

May 15, 2016
change name after mariage - quebec

Hi

I need some help regarding change name after marriage.

I got married on the 5 dec 2015 and gave birth to a baby girl in dec

I want to have the same name as my husband and my baby

it really hurts me to be called by my maiden name with Mrs in front of it, I feel like I have not maried my husband I married my fathr or my brother as I am passd from miss to mrs with the same last name.

and the child which I carry for 9 months and bear lots of pain to give birth is nake differently as mine. I dont want to be just a maid for my child, everywhere I went she is call with my husband name, and me by my last name, and I feel bad when I have to justify that I am her mum.

plz someone help me regarding this issue

I want to have the same name as my huband and my child

I hurts me to live in a house with two different name, specially when everyone in the house has my husband name and just me with my maiden name

plz help