+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change Jobs

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
I have a work permit valid till June 2009 (already got Labour Market Opinion before), but I need to change condition to work in another company. The new employer offer me a job, and is willing to assist me anything in applying a new work permit.

Questions:

1, Do I need to sign the contract in order to apply for Labour Market Opinion (LMO)? I wonder what if it's not sucessful to get LMO, but I signed the contract, what will happen? Do I still need to stick to the terms of the contract??

2, If I get a positive LMO, does it guarantee a work permit? I wonder when I should resign to the current employer. I don't want to resign and get an unsucessful work permit.

Thanks,
Dave

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You do not have to make a contract with the new employer to apply for an LMO. He can even get an open LMO without a name on it. If the new employer requires you to make a contract, ask him to add on the contract that it is subject to LMO and work permit being approved. He will agree to that since it is no use to him to have a contract with you if you don't get LMO and work permit since you would not be able to work for him.

2. You do not have to give your notice with your current employer until you get the work permit. Since you are probably not there very long, your notice period is probably only 1 week. When you get the work permit, give the 1 week notice, then go to the border and activate your new work permit. If you have a contract with your current employer for a certain time period, you may want to know what happens if you break it. My employer has a clause in the contract with the foreign workers that if they don't stay their contract, they will have to pay his cost for employment agency of hiring them. If you have such a clause, talk to the labour board where you live and find out if it allowed or not. In my province, it's not allowed so even those who break their contract do not have to pay.