+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change from Common-Law to Single? Need experienced ppl's opinion please!!!!!

maybee

Aug 1, 2016
Just got ITA under BC PNP - Int’l Grad.

My situation: when filling out information along the way I’ve always claimed of being in a common-law union because I have lived with my Canadian BF for 1+ year and didn’t want to hide anything. Now I realize it’s such as hassle to gather proof (as we don’t have much).

So my question is: Should I just change my status to Single instead? Since i’m not sponsored by him, not gaining points by having a common-law partner anyways and having to prove it might actually be difficult? Would that affect anything?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
maybee said:
Just got ITA under BC PNP - Int’l Grad.

My situation: when filling out information along the way I’ve always claimed of being in a common-law union because I have lived with my Canadian BF for 1+ year and didn’t want to hide anything. Now I realize it’s such as hassle to gather proof (as we don’t have much).

So my question is: Should I just change my status to Single instead? Since i’m not sponsored by him, not gaining points by having a common-law partner anyways and having to prove it might actually be difficult? Would that affect anything?
Changing your status to single would be misrepresentation, for which IRCC could refuse your application and ban you from Canada.

As your partner is Canadian, he is not included in the app, so you should not have to include any proof of the relationship.

maybee

Aug 1, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Changing your status to single would be misrepresentation, for which IRCC could refuse your application and ban you from Canada.

As your partner is Canadian, he is not included in the app, so you should not have to include any proof of the relationship.
Thank you for the response!

But after I answered the initial questions i.e. status? Common-law. accompanying? No.

Then the system populated forms for my partner to fill and after that, requesting documentations to prove our relationship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
maybee said:
Thank you for the response!

But after I answered the initial questions i.e. status? Common-law. accompanying? No.

Then the system populated forms for my partner to fill and after that, requesting documentations to prove our relationship.
From what others have said, there should be a question asking if your family member is Canadian.

If there is no option for that, upload a letter of explanation and his Canadian birth certificate in place of the documents they are requesting.