+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified true copies from bank vs notarized copies

codename84

Nov 20, 2008
I am applying for the permenant residenship in Canada. I am from Ontario. Some of my friends who applied for PR a year or two ago, has got through the process and actually got it. One of my friend who applied last year, didn't get any of his documents notarized and he suggested the same to me. But, it is mentioned that I have to send my documents to Buffalo, if it is not orignal, I am supposed to be sending the "notarized photocopies".

My friends say it does not matter, you can just go to the bank and get the certified true copy, they will go through the docs and seal it and sign on it as "certified true copy"

I have like 30 to 40 documents, like mark sheets, degree certificates, birth certificates yada yada...I called up the immigration to ask them if I really have to notarize or they would accept certified copies from bank, but they absoultely had no idea about this and told me they are not trained for that information.

Notarizing all my docs would cost a bomb after I checked out the prices.

Should I just get the certified true copies stamped from my bank or do I have to go through the notarizing thing? Would they accept it from my bank? Anyone who did that recently and got through?

Another question is,

I was on a study permit and currently on a work permit. I lived in Canada for about 1.5 years now. I am applying under skilled worker catagory. I was told that I should be sending my docs to Buffalo...I am not sure if I can choose my own visa office of my choice, which has less crowd or something.

Please help me out...I am confused.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Certified copies are enough.

Buffalo is among the fastest offices for skilled worker but you can choose to send it to your country of nationality instead. You can see processing times at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/02a-skilled-fed.asp

However.. rules for skilled worker are changing. New rules are expected to be posted any day now. With the new rules, it may get faster but they also might limit who can apply. Applications are already going in under the new rules so you might want to see what they are before you apply. If you find that you can't apply under skilled worker anymore, you can check if you qualify to apply under Ontario provincial nominee program or you can look into Canadian Experience class.

codename84

Nov 20, 2008
Hey Leon,

Thanks for the reply. I have an account in CIBC. The CIBC manager said he can verify my original documents and put a true copy seal on copies. Are you sure they will accept this? I have like 35 to 45 copies of everything. If they want a notarized, I wont be able to afforad that.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGlish/pdf/kits/guides/E37048.pdf

I checked out the check list of Bufflo, on 2006 or 2007, but the above link is the rules of 2008. Only in this, it says notarized copies. The whole purpose of certified copies are to make sure I am not faking anything.

If you confirm, I am gonna send my application with certified copies from my bank.

And what do you mean by they are gonna change the rules? Can I read about it somewhere? I dont want my applicaiton to be lost in the middle of the old and new rules.

Thanks a lot for you're help. Please reply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your friend got certified copies from a bank and it worked for him, it should work just as well for you too. You can call CIC and ask just in case or go to your local office.

You can get some idea of the new rules here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/irpa.asp but until they are posted, nobody really knows anything for sure.

codename84

Nov 20, 2008
Hey Leon,

Do you know when you're friend had applied? Is it like a few months ago? Last year they didnt have this issue. It is just this year. I called up the call centre guys, they didn't know about it.

I read about the new changes from the link you provided. Now, I am confused if I should apply now or wait for a while. If I apply now, there is a chance that they will send my application back to me, right?

After Feb 2008, any applications can be resent and refunded right?

Do you guys suggest anything?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought it was your friend who said ok to send certified copies? I have not discussed with my friends what they have done.

There is actually a reference to certified copies in the application guide for CEC, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609E4.asp

Certified copies or notarized documents

To have a copy certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

“I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”
the name of the original document
the date of the certification
his or her name
his or her official position or title
his or her signature

Who can certify copies?

People authorized to certify copies include the following:

In Canada:

a commissioner of oaths
a notary public
a justice of the peace

Outside Canada:

a judge
a magistrate
a notary public
an officer of a court of justice
a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living

So if your bank has a commissioner of oaths who can do this, that should work.

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
To have a copy certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

“I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”
the name of the original document
the date of the certification
his or her name
his or her official position or title
his or her signature
I went to the bank where I have an account with and there was a this notary public who did not even look at my originals. He had a stamp where there were gaps to fill in like county, state, date and who made the copy and of what document. I filled out all the info. It was more like I was swearing that the photocopy I made is a true and exact copy of the original. Then he notarized the document by his signature and a different stamp. He did not ask me to sign anywhere other than his log book.

He said he cannot certify the documents saying thery are true copies of the originals, but he said he can only notarize what I have claimed to be true and exact copy or the original. But no signature of mine, I am little bit worried about it now. I hope what I have is good enough for AINP. Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Just wondering how you all did on this - I'm in the same boat - located in northern Ontario, where it will cost me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to get all those certified/notarized copies. Any alternative suggestions appreciated - Am thinking about going to Michigan to have it done, but their rules are a bit weird, and I'm not sure if it has to be done in my country of current residence (Canada; I'm a US citizen). All anyone here can do is tell me "go to a lawyer." Cha-CHING!!! $40 per document (or per page, according to some).... The US embassy in Toronto charged me $40 for a certified copy of my passport... I've spent a couple of hundred on educational certificates, and now... all those work contracts, etc?

SkilledPro

Mar 13, 2009
I went to Bank of America and Wells Fargo in Los Angeles. They will not certify/notarize any documents unless it is for banking needs or for bank purposes. I told the lady that i have read in the internet that there are people who had their documents notarized/certified by BOA and WF. She said they never do that unless for banking purposes.

Maybe policies are changing now. It's gonna be a pain to spend $10 /page.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
jes_ON said:
Just wondering how you all did on this - I'm in the same boat - located in northern Ontario, where it will cost me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to get all those certified/notarized copies. Any alternative suggestions appreciated - Am thinking about going to Michigan to have it done, but their rules are a bit weird, and I'm not sure if it has to be done in my country of current residence (Canada; I'm a US citizen). All anyone here can do is tell me "go to a lawyer." Cha-CHING!!! $40 per document (or per page, according to some).... The US embassy in Toronto charged me $40 for a certified copy of my passport... I've spent a couple of hundred on educational certificates, and now... all those work contracts, etc?
i have no reason to believe that you can't do it in another country. You should find out if it is possible to get this done in Michigan before going there.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
SkilledPro said:
I went to Bank of America and Wells Fargo in Los Angeles. They will not certify/notarize any documents unless it is for banking needs or for bank purposes. I told the lady that i have read in the internet that there are people who had their documents notarized/certified by BOA and WF. She said they never do that unless for banking purposes.

Maybe policies are changing now. It's gonna be a pain to spend $10 /page.
someone did say in this forum that the rules are changing for bank managers.