+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cash salary and no slips

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
PLEASE HELP!

I am planning to file my income tax return for past years (2018/2019-2023) my salary was below tax threshold (my employer is a registered tax payer) My questions are;

- my reference letter from my employer shows monthly salary only, whereas I believe tax document will show annual salary only and not monthly, so in that case will it still legtamizie my cash salary claim to IRCC? (As I don't have any pay slips or salary certificate) only a reference letter, appointment/employment letter with monthly salary(that salary was also deducted in case I was absent from work, mentioned in employment contract)

- I'm planning to file my income tax as the amount written on my letters(which is 30k per month), but given that my salary was deducted some months when I was absent or something, do I need to mention exact amount for income tax or mentioning the fixed amout(30k) is fine(that'd be easy for me too)? I'm asking this in terms of, if IRCC verfies exact amount i was getting from my employer.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
PLEASE HELP!

I am planning to file my income tax return for past years (2018/2019-2023) my salary was below tax threshold (my employer is a registered tax payer) My questions are;

- my reference letter from my employer shows monthly salary only, whereas I believe tax document will show annual salary only and not monthly, so in that case will it still legtamizie my cash salary claim to IRCC? (As I don't have any pay slips or salary certificate) only a reference letter, appointment/employment letter with monthly salary(that salary was also deducted in case I was absent from work, mentioned in employment contract)

- I'm planning to file my income tax as the amount written on my letters(which is 30k per month), but given that my salary was deducted some months when I was absent or something, do I need to mention exact amount for income tax or mentioning the fixed amout(30k) is fine(that'd be easy for me too)? I'm asking this in terms of, if IRCC verfies exact amount i was getting from my employer.
You pay taxes on earned income, not on the income stated on offer letters. E.g. you could be making 30k/mo and then received a 10k/mo bonus, you'll have to pay taxes by adding this 10k/mo in whatever structure a tax is involved. If you salary was deducted for being absent, your taxes would've been adjusted accordingly.

Most countries in the South East regions have to pay some form of employment insurance if the pay is below tax threshold. Your employer must have paid a significant part of it from their pockets, that'll be an additional proof that you were employed.

As far as payslips/cashslips/paystubs go, just ask them to give you some that covers a range of work exp (one payslip from first year of work, one payslip from second year of work, etc).

About your first question, here's what IRCC says:

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

• a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).

Ref: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Reactions: habibi007

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
You pay taxes on earned income, not on the income stated on offer letters. E.g. you could be making 30k/mo and then received a 10k/mo bonus, you'll have to pay taxes by adding this 10k/mo in whatever structure a tax is involved. If you salary was deducted for being absent, your taxes would've been adjusted accordingly.

Most countries in the South East regions have to pay some form of employment insurance if the pay is below tax threshold. Your employer must have paid a significant part of it from their pockets, that'll be an additional proof that you were employed.

As far as payslips/cashslips/paystubs go, just ask them to give you some that covers a range of work exp (one payslip from first year of work, one payslip from second year of work, etc).

• should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).

Ref: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
Okay Got it! Thank you!!
I do have a reference letter with required details but my employer is not so cooperative and won't be willing to issue me a salary slip or anything like that (i worked at this place for 1 year before and now I'm currently employed here). That's my only worry what if I am asked to show pay slips etc, that's the only reason I'm planning to file my past years income taxes. I always sign on a register whenever I recieve my salary but that too is roughly written (I took picture of one or two pages just in case if I needed)

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023

Okay Got it! Thank you!!
I do have a reference letter with required details but my employer is not so cooperative and won't be willing to issue me a salary slip or anything like that (i worked at this place for 1 year before and now I'm currently employed here). That's my only worry what if I am asked to show pay slips etc, that's the only reason I'm planning to file my past years income taxes. I always sign on a register whenever I recieve my salary but that too is roughly written (I took picture of one or two pages just in case if I needed). Anyway I'll see what I can do about it. Thanks again!!

JASLEEN KAUR1997

Sep 11, 2020
Okay Got it! Thank you!!
I do have a reference letter with required details but my employer is not so cooperative and won't be willing to issue me a salary slip or anything like that (i worked at this place for 1 year before and now I'm currently employed here). That's my only worry what if I am asked to show pay slips etc, that's the only reason I'm planning to file my past years income taxes. I always sign on a register whenever I recieve my salary but that too is roughly written (I took picture of one or two pages just in case if I needed). Anyway I'll see what I can do about it. Thanks again!!
HEY HOW DID YOU MANAGE?

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
HEY HOW DID YOU MANAGE?
Hey. I've made a salary certificate from the employer, which states monthly salary and total/annual salary I've earned and that i was paid in cash and a reference letter with all the required details which also states that I was paid in cash. Moreover you can make your documentation strong by providing pay slips (try to ask your employer to issue you pay slips), any other supporting documents like contract letter etc would make the documentation strong.

JASLEEN KAUR1997

Sep 11, 2020
Hey. I've made a salary certificate from the employer, which states monthly salary and total/annual salary I've earned and that i was paid in cash and a reference letter with all the required details which also states that I was paid in cash. Moreover you can make your documentation strong by providing pay slips (try to ask your employer to issue you pay slips), any other supporting documents like contract letter etc would make the documentation strong.
what if i just get salary certificate and no payslips...would that be okay?
also.....did you provide ITR tooo?
last question-- did you apply for ontarip pnp or direct express entry