+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Canadian Experience" For Immigrants and Newcomers

V

vidya

Read on ............
http://career-advice.monster.ca/job-hunt-strategy/getting-started/canadian-experience-ca/article.aspx?WT.mc_n=Ycanada_YToday

Kets

Star Member
Nov 18, 2011
A load of BS if you ask me.

Firstly they accept you into this country based on your skill, then when you get here they ask for Canadian experience.

I would say its a ploy cause they need people in places like Tim Hortons, Mac Donalds etc....

Every time I have been into a Tim Horton's I see immigrants working there...

Now the question I ask is, if they only accept skilled immigrants here, are all those people working at Tim's and Mac Donalds skilled immigrants doing survival jobs.. Sad but true!!!

pickednotes

Star Member
Oct 26, 2011
Kets said:

Firstly they accept you into this country based on your skill, then when you get here they ask for Canadian experience.

I would say its a ploy cause they need people in places like Tim Hortons, Mac Donalds etc....

Now the question I ask is, if they only accept skilled immigrants here, are all those people working at Tim's and Mac Donalds skilled immigrants doing survival jobs.. Sad but true!!!
I couldn't agree with you more. This is true.

I mean, why would they require grueling assessment of your "skills" if they won't allow you to work into your own profession? Yes there are routes to achieve recognition. But it is NOT immigrant-feiendly.

If this is the case, they should look for fastfood/janitors/laborer skilled workers, not professionals.

shuhash

Star Member
May 21, 2010
pickednotes said:
I couldn't agree with you more. This is true.

I mean, why would they require grueling assessment of your "skills" if they won't allow you to work into your own profession? Yes there are routes to achieve recognition. But it is NOT immigrant-feiendly.

If this is the case, they should look for fastfood/janitors/laborer skilled workers, not professionals.
Guys,

I don't mean to be negative but accept the reality and prepare urself accordingly .. if possible do some networking .. that will get you a job in your field ... each profession is different and i won't pretend to be an expert .. but probability of getting a job just by applying online or via recruiters are very minimal ( but not impossible) ... i haven't done my landing yet and don't have an offer .. but i was able to get interview not because of my skills but because of people i got in touch with within their organizations ... so be positive .. u all know the problems or issues surrounding new immigrants .. so be prepared accordingly .. network network network .... i didn't get a single call by applying online or recruiters ..

when preparing ur resume ( not asking to hide anything) provide name of the company and not mention the place or city ... that will solve your canadian experiance problem .. you would at least get a call and rest of the process will depend on your interview skills .. there are lots of jobs in Canada if you know how to approach em .. good luck .. and have faith in urselves ..

Thommo

Nov 20, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
Kets said:

Many managers of Tim Hortons/McDonalds outlets ask for Canadian experience. Mind you - for survival jobs!

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04/7/13, DD Charged-29/9/13, PER - 03/12/13
AOR Received.
16/1/2014 Interview: 15-4-2014
Med's Request
22-4-2014 Passport Req:22-4-2014
Med's Done....
28-4-2014 3rd line updated: 9-05-14
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
Hi
so how are jobs in engineering ? ?

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
its a total Bu-ll-sh-it in Toronto.
even graduates from university of Toronto and York are struggling to get a job. its the same as in the USA.
guys, think a dozen times before moving here.
if you are doing good in your country, dont come here.
You'd find life would be in total darkness here.
Immigrants are put aside into 3rd choice after Canadians, Europeans and Filipinos.

shuhash

Star Member
May 21, 2010
mr.Hope said:
Hi
so how are jobs in engineering ? ?
Look at Calgary .. you shall find a job in no time .. but again that will depend on your presentation skill or how you market yourself .. toronto job market is bad (unless you know people) .. avoid vancouver as well ( unless you are from hospitality industry) .. try to get some connection within diff companies before you move . that will increase your probability of finding a job .. good luck .. please note i m not an expert and don't have an offer in canada yet .. but i was able to get few interviews .. that's all ..

you don't need to take my word for it -- you can search online to get idea about job market .. monster.ca, efinancialcarrer.com etc ..

muscattocanada

Star Member
May 14, 2011
muscat
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Mar 2010
AOR Received.
APR 2010... 2nd AOR Aug 2010
File Transfer...
july 2010
Med's Request
15th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
5th may 2012
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
Dec 18th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
feb 23rd 2013
@jnathan
even graduates from university of Toronto and York are struggling to get a job. its the same as in the USA.
so your saying there is no value for Canadian education also?

I thought of doing a 2 year course on landing ... u mean to say that it will be hard for me even if I upgrade my skills with Canadian education ...

Thommo

Nov 20, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
muscattocanada said:
@ jnathan
so your saying there is no value for Canadian education also?

I thought of doing a 2 year course on landing ... u mean to say that it will be hard for me even if I upgrade my skills with Canadian education ...
Canadian education certainly has value. After leaving aside race, color,etc. - issues which affect your chances of getting a good job anywhere in the world, priority order is Canadian born, completed schooling in Canada, college/Univ. education in Canada, Canadian citizens.........

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04/7/13, DD Charged-29/9/13, PER - 03/12/13
AOR Received.
16/1/2014 Interview: 15-4-2014
Med's Request
22-4-2014 Passport Req:22-4-2014
Med's Done....
28-4-2014 3rd line updated: 9-05-14
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
shuhash said:
Look at Calgary .. you shall find a job in no time .. but again that will depend on your presentation skill or how you market yourself .. toronto job market is bad (unless you know people) .. avoid vancouver as well ( unless you are from hospitality industry) .. try to get some connection within diff companies before you move . that will increase your probability of finding a job .. good luck .. please note i m not an expert and don't have an offer in canada yet .. but i was able to get few interviews .. that's all ..

you don't need to take my word for it -- you can search online to get idea about job market .. monster.ca, efinancialcarrer.com etc ..
Hi
thanks for the info
I know calgary has got quite good jobs in engineering coz of Oil & Gas industries. and I have luked into few job sites and the opening are not bad. my only problem is even though I have post graduation from UK, I have only an year of Experience as an engineer...I don't know whether employers will be keen hiring me, apart from that I have to wait until the FSW gets opened next year.