+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen living in the US

Marcodisalvo4

Apr 3, 2010
I am a Canadian Citizen living in the US. I have 2 children who were born in the US as well. I know that they can get their citizenship certificate but can I apply for their passports first or do I need the citizenship certificate? I am moving home to Canada soon and I would like to get their paperwork done. My biggest concern is the health care for the kids. What do I do for this? I am moving to Ontario and I believe that there is a 3 month waiting period.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Marcodisalvo4 said:
I am a Canadian Citizen living in the US. I have 2 children who were born in the US as well. I know that they can get their citizenship certificate but can I apply for their passports first or do I need the citizenship certificate? I am moving home to Canada soon and I would like to get their paperwork done. My biggest concern is the health care for the kids. What do I do for this? I am moving to Ontario and I believe that there is a 3 month waiting period.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you
1. You have to apply for the proof of citizenship first. Then if the children are under 2, then Passport Canada will issue a limited validity passport. If the children are over 2 and under 18 CIC will issue a facilitation visa see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp
2. You will have buy insurance for the first 3 months until you are eligible for OHIP. See BlueCross etc.