+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada-US Travel During COVID-19 Border Restrictions

canuk75

May 19, 2020
As a Permanent Resident of Canada, I wonder if traveling to the US for legitimate work-related reasons during this period of government-implemented COVID-19 border restrictions would be something that IRCC would potentially hold against me at such future time when I submit an application for Canadian citizenship and/or to renew my Permanent Resident status.

Thoughts or perspective you can share will be much appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As a Permanent Resident of Canada, I wonder if traveling to the US for legitimate work-related reasons during this period of government-implemented COVID-19 border restrictions would be something that IRCC would potentially hold against me at such future time when I submit an application for Canadian citizenship and/or to renew my Permanent Resident status.

Why would IRCC hold it against you? In what way? You are free to leave Canada if the other country allows you in.

omerhaha

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017

I don’t think so

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Why would IRCC hold it against you? In what way? You are free to leave Canada if the other country allows you in.
agree with this.

if you are talking about the physical residency or RO obligations, if you choose to work in the US and not live in Canada, yes that will be taken against you because It will not count towards RO or citizenship days (unless you qualify for exemptions that you can read about on the official website)

canuk75

May 19, 2020
Thank you for the helpful perspectives shared thus far.

To clarify an aspect of the original question: work-related travel to the US would only be for a few days (versus a lengthy absence from Canada). The full intent would be to return to Canada at the conclusion of the travel event.

The wonder is whether a mere entry on the travel journal with dates that fall within the COVID-19 travel restrictions (even though the reason for travel is deemed acceptable) could cause IRCC to take issue with an application for Canadian citizenship and/or a PR renewal, and potentially hold it against the same as reason for denial.

issteven

Jan 2, 2014

To clarify an aspect of the original question: work-related travel to the US would only be for a few days (versus a lengthy absence from Canada). The full intent would be to return to Canada at the conclusion of the travel event.

The wonder is whether a mere entry on the travel journal with dates that fall within the COVID-19 travel restrictions (even though the reason for travel is deemed acceptable) could cause IRCC to take issue with an application for Canadian citizenship and/or a PR renewal, and potentially hold it against the same as reason for denial.
there is no answer is this matter. but i guess it won't, based on CURRENT laws.

but if in the future IRCC modifies the laws to treat people who traveled during covid19 differently, then that's another story.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Of course not.

Reactions: melito