+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada req'd financial support minimums for visitors and PermRes Applicants?

4maple-1eagle

Feb 24, 2011
Can anyone recommend an official Canadian Gov't Document which spells out Canada's minimum financial support requirements for both Temporary Residents and Permanent Resident Applicants ? (I assume I have enough, but I really don't want to leave this detail to the general discretion of the ImmO we happen to get when we go across).

I found one such similar document called OP 11 (Overseas Processing) which lays out all the instructions to IO's for interviewing and deciding on Applications, Interviewing, even templates for refusal letters and situational decision trees, but this document appears to be silent on the financial requirements that get evaluated. Are their any actual numbers, or is this all subjective and determined by the IO ?

Miguel de Cervantes

Dec 6, 2010
I remember seeing a table somewhere on the CIC website with dollar amounts, but right now I can't find it, and anyways, I'm pretty sure it did not apply to spousal sponsorship (including dependent children). I did find however on the OP2 this:

"10.3. Sponsors who do not meet the income test
Visa offices may receive undertakings from sponsors who are required to meet the income test
but who do not meet it. If the financial test is not met, CPC staff will send a copy of the work in
progress (WIP) transcript and a detailed explanation as to why the application to sponsor is Not
Met. CPC-M will also send the Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283E). It details a sponsor's financial
situation. If a sponsor does not fall under one of the categories described in R133(4), the
application should be refused under A11(2) pursuant to R120(a).and R133(1).
Sponsors of dependent children and of spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners
(unless they have dependent children who have dependent children of their own) do not have to
meet financial requirements, but they do undertake to provide for the basic necessities of the
sponsored applicants so that the applicants do not need social assistance.
Applicants may be
refused for financial reasons under A39 if they are unable or unwilling to support themselves and
OP 2 Processing Members of the Family Class
2006-11-14 43
their dependent children and there are not adequate arrangements for their care and support.
Officers should take into consideration the sponsor’s financial situation and willingness to assist,
as well as the financial situation or employment prospects of the applicant, if applicable."

Hope this helps a little!

Miguel de Cervantes

Dec 6, 2010
I found something else that might be helpful. But as I understand it, this does not apply to your spouse and your dependent children. Here is the link where I got this info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5482E.PDF

Table 1 — Low Income Cut-off
(Effective until December 31, 2011)Size of Family Unit
Minimum necessary income
1 person (the sponsor)
$22,229
2 persons
$27,674
3 persons
$34,022
4 persons
$41,307
5 persons