+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we enter Canada from USA by road without a PR card in hand. Please suggest

ezapanagarjuna

Aug 8, 2012
Hi All,

I recently got the PR approved through FSW 2014 and the visa stamped in the passport is till Oct 10th. We live in USA and plan to do our landing through road sometime in July and stay there for a week and finish the rest of the formalities. I heard that sometimes the PR card gets lost in mail (either when being initially delivered at the address given or later when being forwarded to us in USA).

So the question I have is, as we have the visa till Oct 10th and if we don't get the PR card in hand by mid September can we re-enter Canada with the same visa and the CORP papers.

Note: We are not from a Visa exempt country.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ezapa

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
The visa will be voided/removed when you do your PR landing. It is 1-time use only.

However you can certainly return to Canada without your PR card by private car at a land border. In this case no PR card or travel document is necessary, and CBSA can determine your PR status with your passport and COPR only.

The only thing you can't do is return to Canada by airplane or bus, since the commercial carrier will require valid PR card as proof of status. So in these cases a travel document or your PR card would be mandatory.