+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can remote US work experience (while being an ICT on an LMIA exempt closed work permit) count towards the 1 year CEC requirement for express entry?

Dec 19, 2023
I'm working for a US based company remotely from Canada while being on a closed work permit (I have not yet applied for PR and neither have I studied in Canada). The company has branches in Canada too but since my team is in the US, I will be getting paid in USD and will be paying taxes in the US. The company would be setting up a shadow payroll for me in Canada (Reference: https://arcrelocation.com/what-is-shadow-payroll/) in order to comply with the taxation rules. Which means, l'll be filing taxes both in US and Canada but my paychecks would only be going to my US bank account. And since I would be eligible for tax exemption when I file my Canadian tax returns due to the double taxation exemption clause under NAFTA, I would effectively be paying little to nothing in tax to the Canadian govt and most of it to Uncle Sam.

So the question is, will this give me the 40 CRS points that I can use for my express entry profile and qualify for the CEC stream? I feel I should technically be eligible because technically working on Canadian soil, on a valid closed work permit (that the IRCC themselves approved) and would be filing taxes in both countries. The only issue is that my paychecks and bank statements would not be able to corroborate that I am employed by a Canadian firm. I also don't know if employment verification letter would mention US or Canada. Since this is in a very ambiguous territory, I'm not quite sure if I am eligible under the CEC stream. I'm yet to talk to an immigration consultant about it but thought I'd ask here before I do. Would anyone be able to help me understand this a bit better? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks!