Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012
My PR card is expired. I have a PRTD that expires beginning of December. I submitted an online application to renew my card in July. I have not received any acknowledgement and the online portal has no update.

With my US Passport, I know I can board my flight to Canada, but what about going through customs and immigration? Do I need my PR card to enter? My concern is that if I wait until October/November to submit my application, I will not get my passport back in time for my trip. Or that they see both applications and reject them.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try this to track it:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html

A U.S. citizen, with a valid U.S. passport can almost always board a flight to Canada on the strength of that document alone. If, however, the commercial carrier is privy to you also being PR in Canada...they could make things difficult if you do not have a valid PR card. There is a bilateral agreement (apparently) that still elevates a U.S. passport as a primary travel document in this case, but...not all airline employees (agents at the gate, for example) may not be aware of this. Having said that, the denial to board for those PR's appears to be close to nil.

A PR does NOT need a valid PR card to enter Canada; they only need it to be transported to Canada by a commercial carrier (exception almost always being a U.S. citizen with passport). Once a PR has deplaned, they then proceed to immigration and customs. You need to bypass the PIK machine at the airport and procede directly to the CBSA Primary Inspection booth, otherwise you would have to scan your U.S. passport and it would generate a `flag', because you are no longer entering Canada as a visitor. You would more than likely be sent to Secondary Inspection...which is nothing for you to worry about. Once the Secondary officer scans your passport and/or determines by other means that you are in fact a PR with valid status (only your PR Card expires, not your status) you will be allowed to enter. A PR of Canada with valid PR status, cannot be refused entry.

wlee62

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
17-09-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
19-01-2012
Med's Request
17-09-2011
Med's Done....
28-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012
Thanks @Ponga.

Do you know what I would need to present at immigration to prove my valid PR status?

From https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html:

You must have a PR card or a PRTD to re-enter Canada by train, plane, boat or bus. If you’re travelling in a private vehicle such as a car, truck, motorcycle or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow or rent, you can use your PR card, PRTD or other documents to return to Canada.

The following documents are not valid for travel to Canada:

• Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)
When I click on "other documents" I only see valid forms of ID for those that actually live in Canada, whereas I keep my PR through living with my Canadian spouse.

That being said, I'm still waiting to hear back on my PR application, but wondering if I should just suck it up and apply for another PRTD, again...

wlee62

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
17-09-2011
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
19-01-2012
Med's Request
17-09-2011
Med's Done....
28-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012
I do see this:
Permanent residents of Canada who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

I do have Nexus and a US passport. The proof of permanent residence is more so for the US green card... so I wonder if I'm covered in this case.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks @Ponga.

Do you know what I would need to present at immigration to prove my valid PR status?

From https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html:

You must have a PR card or a PRTD to re-enter Canada by train, plane, boat or bus. If you’re travelling in a private vehicle such as a car, truck, motorcycle or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow or rent, you can use your PR card, PRTD or other documents to return to Canada.

The following documents are not valid for travel to Canada:

• Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)
When I click on "other documents" I only see valid forms of ID for those that actually live in Canada, whereas I keep my PR through living with my Canadian spouse.

That being said, I'm still waiting to hear back on my PR application, but wondering if I should just suck it up and apply for another PRTD, again...
Pay attention to the part above in red.

You do NOT need a valid PR card (or PRTD) to ENTER (or re-enter) Canada. You `enter' Canada when you are cleared by CBSA to do so, not before. The commercial carrier (that transports you to Canadian soil), usually needs the PR Card or PRTD.

All that you need to show to a CBSA officer is anything that can show that you have legal PR status, which would include your foreign passport. However, you cannot use a foreign passport if using a PIK (Primary Inspection Kiosk) at the airport, since it will generate an error; you would bypass the PIK and present yourself to a CBSA officer instead. The system `connects the dots' so that the officer can see your status in Canada via your passport. Having said that, entering without a valid PR Card can (and perhaps likely does) lead to questioning as to why it has not been renewed. In any event, unless it is determined that your status has been revoked (or voluntarily renounced), you will be allowed to enter Canada.

wlee62

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
17-09-2011
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
19-01-2012
Med's Request
17-09-2011
Med's Done....
28-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2012
LANDED..........
09-04-2012
That's the part that kills me. I've submitted my renewal application back in July, then got a notice to update my photo in September, and now my application is now back of the line again. If I'm lucky, maybe they'll process my application in November and I can pick it up my card before my PRTD expires later in December.

I'll use my Nexus card (and bring along my passport) and see what happens. Thanks for walking me through this!