+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i travel back to my home country without a valid passport?

ali357

Nov 13, 2015
Here's the situation:
I just received my work permit on the 9th of November (I applied way back in the first week of may) and just yesterday sent out my application (paper based) for a TRV. My wedding is on the 25th of December in my home country, Pakistan. I know that it says on the cic website that the approximate processing time for new TRV applications is 11 days but I've been reading about some crazy delays that people have experienced. I'm worried about the worst case scenario happening here: not getting back my TRV and passport before my wedding dates.

The passport I sent with the application package is a new one that I received a few months back. I still have my old passport which is valid till may of next year.

My 1st question is: In the case that I do not get back my TRV/Passport on time, can I leave Canada for Pakistan using my old passport? I was thinking that if I could leave, I'd have my new passport delivered to me in Pakistan (the trv/passport is to be delivered to a relative's home in Canada).

My 2nd Question: Will me leaving the country cancel my current TRV application or in any way negatively effect it?

I appreciate any help that I can get here. I've been really stressed about this.

Thank you.