+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I transit using advance parole and eta?

skhalighi

Feb 6, 2019
I am going to travel from the US to Turkey via Canada(Person airport of Toronto) via advance parole and my passport. I booked a round trip ticket, and I just got Canadian eta(electronic travel authorization). I just want to use the Toronto person airport to transit in the same day. Can I go?

--Best
Sirvan

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
I am going to travel from the US to Turkey via Canada(Person airport of Toronto) via advance parole and my passport. I booked a round trip ticket, and I just got Canadian eta(electronic travel authorization). I just want to use the Toronto person airport to transit in the same day. Can I go?

--Best
Sirvan
Your AP document should have no bearing on whether you can transit via Canada or not. If you require visa to enter Canada, you will need it to do International-International transfer. If you plan to come back to US via Canada, you will need valid travel document to enter Canada in addition to your AP which will be required to enter US (You technically enter US while inside Canadian airport due to pre-clearance process).

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

--Best
Sirvan
So if you really have an ETA then are you travelling with a passport that is visa exempt for Canada ? If you are not travelling as a visa exempt then you need a transit visa to pass through a Canadian airport.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

skhalighi

Feb 6, 2019
Thank you so much for your quick reply. Actually, the story that happened to me is a bit different, but before explaining my story, I wanted to know your general opinion. So sorry that I did not mention in my first message.

As I said, I got the Canadian eta. by advance parole and my passport. after that, I traveled from the US to Istanbul via Pearson Airport (Toronto) and airline Security in the US entered all of the information and everything was correct. BUT, when I wanted to come back the security of the airline in Istanbul said your eta is not valid and you are not authorized to transit via Canada, and they didn't let us travel. However, when I came back to the US, I have checked with the Canadian Immigration office and they said your eta is valid. So, officially I could/can travel (transit) by my passport, eta and advance parole. I am confused. Could you please let me know how can I find out the right answer?

--Best

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Thank you so much for your quick reply. Actually, the story that happened to me is a bit different, but before explaining my story, I wanted to know your general opinion. So sorry that I did not mention in my first message.

As I said, I got the Canadian eta. by advance parole and my passport. after that, I traveled from the US to Istanbul via Pearson Airport (Toronto) and airline Security in the US entered all of the information and everything was correct. BUT, when I wanted to come back the security of the airline in Istanbul said your eta is not valid and you are not authorized to transit via Canada, and they didn't let us travel. However, when I came back to the US, I have checked with the Canadian Immigration office and they said your eta is valid. So, officially I could/can travel (transit) by my passport, eta and advance parole. I am confused. Could you please let me know how can I find out the right answer?

--Best
Buddy, you are confusing what AP really is. It is US travel document and has no bearing on your eligibility to enter Canada or not. If your passport allows you to travel to Canada without visa (since you got ETA) then it should continue to work as long as the ETA was valid. Why airline refused to board you in Istambul is anyone's guess but most probably because their electronic system showed that your ETA is either invalid or expired. It doesn't mean that is truly the case as you found out later. Your AP is your eligibility to enter US so do not confuse it with Canadian ETA and eligibility to enter Canada. Those two are mutually independent and have nothing to do with each other.

Reactions: skhalighi

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Know nothing about advance parole which as above post seems relevant only to the US but which country issued your passport something you have not shared and cannot assume anything just because you travelled to Turkey ? Holders of Turkish passports for example are not visa exempt so need a transit visa