+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I run an online store with IEC visa?

roseevans

Aug 11, 2017
Hi, I've gotten an IEC visa(working holiday) recently and at first I'd thought about getting a job,
but suddenly I was attracted to starting a business in Canada.
It's not a big business, I'm just thinking about selling some cute stuffs like table wares or books by online.
And I'm gonna get them from my own country and resell it so it'd be little complicating.
I need to know what's legal and what not, and if I need to incorporate my business.
So, basically what I want to do is, get some pretty stuffs from my country(by shipping of course) and then
post the pics of the products on my website, then if the client buys them I'll send them.
Pretty simple, isn't it? But then, I'll have to go through custom declarations, paying taxes, etc.
But those are not the things to worry about right now.

First thing I need to know is, as I wrote in the title, can I run an online store with my IEC visa?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi, I've gotten an IEC visa(working holiday) recently and at first I'd thought about getting a job,
but suddenly I was attracted to starting a business in Canada.
It's not a big business, I'm just thinking about selling some cute stuffs like table wares or books by online.
And I'm gonna get them from my own country and resell it so it'd be little complicating.
I need to know what's legal and what not, and if I need to incorporate my business.
So, basically what I want to do is, get some pretty stuffs from my country(by shipping of course) and then
post the pics of the products on my website, then if the client buys them I'll send them.
Pretty simple, isn't it? But then, I'll have to go through custom declarations, paying taxes, etc.
But those are not the things to worry about right now.

First thing I need to know is, as I wrote in the title, can I run an online store with my IEC visa?
I did a quick Google search and it looks like it's OK: http://www.experiencecanada.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3913

You may want to contact the local small business association in your city/province to guide you further with your specific situation, and it's usually a free service. I've done this in my city, and it's been really helpful to know all the step-by-step procedures to set up a business.

Reactions: roseevans

roseevans

Aug 11, 2017
I did a quick Google search and it looks like it's OK: http://www.experiencecanada.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3913

You may want to contact the local small business association in your city/province to guide you further with your specific situation, and it's usually a free service. I've done this in my city, and it's been really helpful to know all the step-by-step procedures to set up a business.

That's helpful! Thank you!

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Internet business is international and as such really does not matter what visa you hold or where you live. E.g. I purchase items regularly from other countries through the internet (and live in Canada - they are not). The issues of legality is related to where you pay taxes on that business, and is usually connected to the local address of the business. If your business address is in Canada, well then you need to follow Canadian laws regarding registration etc. If somewhere else, you have to follow the laws in that country. A little simplified but no need to make it too complicated generally.

The second issue you need to concern yourself over is insurance. North America (Canada less so) is a very litigious society. This means that if someone gets hurt due to a product you sold them, you could be on the hook for it. If the damages are big enough, and depending on your terms and conditions (which you should spend some time and money on with a lawyer) they will come and get you no matter where you live or are registered.

Third issue with importation of goods, duties and import taxes aside would be making sure that your products are safe and permitted. I used to import african art. There are things that cannot be easily imported into Canada from Africa without major headaches, like wood products.

What you are planning is not as simple as it sounds, but totally doable. Hope you succeed. Good luck