+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I maintain my PR obligations if I am not a tax resident of Canada?

tljk

Feb 21, 2021
I got my PR and landed, but due to some covid weirdness, my wife and I ended up living in a different country for now, where we live, work, and pay taxes. I am living with my wife, a Canadian citizen, which means my time outside of Canada doesn't count against me. However, since I am not in Canada, I would like to declare myself not a tax resident. Would that count against my PR obligations?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got my PR and landed, but due to some covid weirdness, my wife and I ended up living in a different country for now, where we live, work, and pay taxes. I am living with my wife, a Canadian citizen, which means my time outside of Canada doesn't count against me. However, since I am not in Canada, I would like to declare myself not a tax resident. Would that count against my PR obligations?
If you never settled in Canada as a PR with your spouse your time abroad counting towards PR isn’t guaranteed. You can’t just declare yourself as a tax resident CRA will determine if you are a tax resident based on your ties to Canada and time spent in Canada.

Reactions: Ponga