+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i give my child the Canadian passport?

Raw88

Feb 2, 2019
Hello,
I am a canadian passport holder born outside canada. My dad was naturalized in canada and have passed the passport to me.
Now i want to know if i can pass the passport to my children, knowing that i have lived for 3 years in canada, from 2006 - 2009 worked and got income taxes and studied there. Would this be an exception?
Please would really appreciate your help.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hello,
I am a canadian passport holder born outside canada. My dad was naturalized in canada and have passed the passport to me.
Now i want to know if i can pass the passport to my children, knowing that i have lived for 3 years in canada, from 2006 - 2009 worked and got income taxes and studied there. Would this be an exception?
No

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
How much time you lived in Canada is irrelevant. Your childs are not Canadian and can only become Canadian the naturalization way.
You can sponsor your minor kids, and then apply for their grant of citizenship on the spot, without a 3 years wait period.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
How much time you lived in Canada is irrelevant.
You can sponsor your minor kids, and then apply for their grant of naturalization on the spot, without a 3 years period.
But he can only sponsor the kids if he actually lives in Canada during the entire process of application , which he doesn’t

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
But he can only sponsor the kids if he actually lives in Canada during the entire process of application , which he doesn’t
Really? Didn't know it was the case for kids sponsorship. Thanks for adding this.

Anyway, OP has all the information available to him/her now :)

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Really? Didn't know it was the case for kids sponsorship. Thanks for adding this.

Anyway, OP has all the information available to him/her now :)
No, not just for kids, it’s the general case, since the first step is sponsoring PR, and if there’s no indication of living in Canada or planning to live in Canada , the PR won’t be approved. Otherwise the second generation rule would basically mean nothing if those born outside Canada to second generation parents can always get citizenship through PR- citizenship without actually living in Canada

Raw88

Feb 2, 2019
@itsmyid @Seym
Thankyou !
Now so my options are either after my baby is born i will go to canada and sponsor him/her. And i will live there during the entire process and the baby will be given the PR to get citizenship then passport.
Or
I will go deliver in Canada

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
Your children born abroad would only be Canadian citizens if they were born before April 17, 2009. Children born abroad after that date would not be Canadian citizens.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
@itsmyid @Seym
Thankyou !
Now so my options are either after my baby is born i will go to canada and sponsor him/her. And i will live there during the entire process and the baby will be given the PR to get citizenship then passport.
Or
I will go deliver in Canada
Just keep in mind that if you follow through with option #2 there are residency requirements before and after in most provinces before you can qualify for health care so you could be faced with paying for a delivery yourself. Timing and choice of province would be everything

Raw88

Feb 2, 2019
Your children born abroad would only be Canadian citizens if they were born before April 17, 2009. Children born abroad after that date would not be Canadian citizens.
Yes i understand.
But i was hoping that working under my social security number and time spent there would give me an exception.

Raw88

Feb 2, 2019
Just keep in mind that if you follow through with option #2 there are residency requirements before and after in most provinces before you can qualify for health care so you could be faced with paying for a delivery yourself. Timing and choice of province would be everything
Alberta edmonton and i have a relatives house there.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Yes i understand.
But i was hoping that working under my social security number and time spent there would give me an exception.
No exceptions AFAIK. Each province has its own rules when it comes to eligibility for healthcare. For instance, in Ontario, you have a 3 month residency requirement before you can qualify. There is a 3 month waiting period for Alberta as well. So, you would have the bear the expenses of delivering the baby .

https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx