+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for Canadian Citizenship with pending/ongoing criminal charges?

Marvin Russel

Feb 16, 2022
Hello Respected Lawyers/Experienced persons,

I have no previous criminal record, but currently having some charges pending/ongoing (not decided yet). My lawyer said these are Summary Offences.

As a PR my 3 yrs stay in Canada will complete in March 2022. Then can I apply for Canadian Citizenship with the ongoing charges? Need accurate information please; the government website doesn't have any specific information about it.

Thanks

Reactions: yeasir1987

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok. But even if I am convicted, the charges will be summary offence. So will that matter? Thanks
Would depend on the offence. Your lawyer should be considering your immigration status when representing you. It may be best to settle for a
lesser charge for example to protect your status in Canada. Your lawyer should be aware that you face losing your citizenship depending on whether you are found guilty in certain charges. Speak to an immigration lawyer or research whether your charge will be an issue for citizenship. If you indicate what your charges are someone may be able to tell you. Your initial charges may not be your final charge if there is a plea deal.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello Respected Lawyers/Experienced persons,

I have no previous criminal record, but currently having some charges pending/ongoing (not decided yet). My lawyer said these are Summary Offences.

As a PR my 3 yrs stay in Canada will complete in March 2022. Then can I apply for Canadian Citizenship with the ongoing charges? Need accurate information please; the government website doesn't have any specific information about it.

Thanks
Ok. But even if I am convicted, the charges will be summary offence. So will that matter? Thanks
Foremost: if you have a lawyer, talk to your lawyer. Be aware that lawyers doing criminal defense work are often not well acquainted with immigration or citizenship law. But the lawyer is still a better source than an open forum like this.

I am NO expert . . . but I can offer some observations:

I am a fan of waiting to apply for citizenship longer than most.

This is mostly about having a margin over the minimum physical presence that is big enough no total stranger bureaucrat will wonder if there is any chance the applicant was not IN Canada enough to easily meet the presence requirement. But in other circumstances it can be about waiting long enough that circumstances which might trigger non-routine processing are resolved enough to at least minimize the nature and extent of non-routine processing. So, for example, while I disagree that a pending summary offence will cause IRCC to put a citizenship application on hold (and in fact that would be contrary to the law governing procedure for citizenship application processing), I agree with the gist of what @canuck78 says, that details underlying the charge are very important, that "initial charges may not be [the] final charge," and this can make a difference in how things go.

Waiting long enough the criminal case reaches a final disposition, so that there is no doubt about the conviction being for a summary offence (or something even lesser), is the SAFE approach . . . that is, waiting longer to apply could mean taking the oath sooner.

That said, be aware that depending on the details in how you were charged, what the specific charges were initially apart from what charges the Crown actually proceeds with, and certain specifics like whether there was an arrest, be aware that any criminal charges increase the likelihood IRCC will ask for finger prints and will also engage in other non-routine processing to verify there are no prohibitions. So there is a significant chance your application will take longer than it does for the median (averages do not mean much at all . . . how long it take to process half plus a bit of the applications is the key indicator of how long most applications take).

Even when there is no prohibition, the more fully resolved a criminal case is when IRCC opens the application and does its first GCMS screening (which includes a name-record search in RCMP and FBI/NCIC criminal databases), the better the odds it will have less negative impact on processing.

Further Observations; Beware Hybrid Offence Prosecuted as a Summary Offence is NOT the SAME as Being Charged with a Summary Offence:

Generally a conviction for a summary offence is NO problem for a PR applying for citizenship. Even if it was a hybrid offence, or even more serious to begin with, a summary offence conviction is NOT a prohibition, not a problem for a citizenship application.

Pending charges are a little different. And, whether the offence charged is defined to be a summary offence in the Criminal Code, or it is an offence that could be prosecuted by indictment but is being prosecuted as a summary offence, makes a difference.

A pending charge for a summary offence is not a problem. No prohibitions are implicated. So, as noted, I disagree that IRCC would put a citizenship application on hold because the applicant has a summary offence case pending.

So, if you are CERTAIN you were charged with an offence defined in the criminal code to be a summary offence and NOT a hybrid offence, NO PROBLEMS, no worries about prohibitions, worst case scenario is a finger print request and some delays for non-routine background scrutiny. Waiting to apply until the criminal case is fully resolved is probably a good idea but not imperative.

A hybrid offence being prosecuted as a summary offence is a more complicated situation. And it is the far more common one.

Note, for example, for a Foreign National and what constitutes inadmissibility, a hybrid offence prosecuted as a summary offence, resulting in a conviction for a summary offence under the Criminal Code, nonetheless renders the FN inadmissible for having been convicted of an indictable offence . . . because the offence itself is defined to be an indictable offence, that is, one that could be prosecuted by indictment.

That is not directly relevant to PR inadmissibility, or prohibitions precluding a grant of citizenship, but it illustrates that how the matter is handled in the criminal case does not control its impact in regards to immigration status.

Problem is many who think they are charged with a summary offence are actually charged with a hybrid offence, an offence that can be prosecuted as either a summary or indictable offence. Many think and refer to this as being charged with or prosecuted for a summary offence. BUT when the offence itself, as defined in the Criminal Code, is actually a hybrid offence, that is different.

The vast majority of what are defined to be summary offences, NOT hybrid offences, are so minor that few charged get a lawyer and the process typically proceeds to a final outcome in relatively short order. In contrast, the underlying facts in many if not the majority of cases involving charges for a hybrid offence are minor enough they are prosecuted as a summary offence . . . and many refer to this as being charged with a "summary" offence when, in a manner of speaking, unless and until there is a final disposition it is actually still an indictable offence, just one that is being prosecuted as a summary offence.

I do not know how criminal defense lawyers characterize these cases. I suspect some, perhaps many criminal defense lawyers are prone to reassuring clients they are facing a summary charge when what is really happening is they are charged with a hybrid offence that is being prosecuted as a summary offence. The lawyers are not deceiving the client. For purposes of the criminal law, once the prosecution has elected to proceed with a summary case the defendant is indeed facing a summary offence charge which ordinarily cannot be upgraded to an indictable offence. So, even though the offence is defined as a hybrid offence under the Criminal Code, meaning it is an indictable offence, once it is being prosecuted as a summary offence, for purposes of the criminal law the person is charged with and being prosecuted for a summary offence.

The impact of a still pending hybrid offence, on a citizenship application, is not as clear. Indeed, it appears to vary.

THUS . . . if the charge is a hybrid offence (being prosecuted as a summary offence):

For a PR considering making a citizenship application, while they have a hybrid offence charge still pending, among the things to consider is how to respond to the prohibitions questions in the application, and question 16.3. in particular, which asks the applicant if they are now charged with "an indictable offence in Canada." Probably not misrepresentation to respond "no" based on an understanding the case is being prosecuted as a summary offence. BUT when IRCC opens the application and does a GCMS background screening (which is repeated throughout processing), this includes screening name-records in RCMP and FBI/NCIC criminal record databases, the odds are the charge generates a hit . . . so, for example, if the charge is a simple assault (such as a domestic assault), even if it is being prosecuted as a summary offence, the processing agent sees a charge for what is an indictable offence. Application flagged and likely referred into a non-routine processing stream.

Would it be better to check "yes" and explain the charge is being prosecuted as a summary offence? My sense is yes BUT I AM NO EXPERT, so the best I can offer, if the original charge is a hybrid offence or otherwise was indictable, is --
-- wait to apply until after there is a final disposition documenting a conviction for a summary offence (at worst), or​
-- consult with an attorney who you are confident understands immigration and citizenship law as well as the criminal law, and follow their advice, or​
-- proceed with the application prepared to deal with nonroutine processing, using YOUR BEST JUDGMENT about how to respond to 16.3. in the prohibitions part of the application​

Reactions: yeasir1987

Marvin Russel

Feb 16, 2022
Would depend on the offence. Your lawyer should be considering your immigration status when representing you. It may be best to settle for a
lesser charge for example to protect your status in Canada. Your lawyer should be aware that you face losing your citizenship depending on whether you are found guilty in certain charges. Speak to an immigration lawyer or research whether your charge will be an issue for citizenship. If you indicate what your charges are someone may be able to tell you. Your initial charges may not be your final charge if there is a plea deal.
Charges:

1. CC 267(a) Assault with A Weapon
2. CC 267(b) Assault Cause Bodily Harm
3. CC 266 Assault

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Charges:

1. CC 267(a) Assault with A Weapon
2. CC 267(b) Assault Cause Bodily Harm
3. CC 266 Assault
I am not a Canadian lawyer . . . but these offences are clearly defined in the Criminal Code: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-35.html#h-120223

None of these are summary offences. They are all hybrid offences.

If you are charged with these offences, best to NOT apply for citizenship UNTIL they are finally disposed of, and even then ONLY if the final disposition is for sure a conviction or convictions for summary offences.

If you do not want to wait, see a competent lawyer well experienced in practicing immigration and citizenship law, and be sure that lawyer has the opportunity to review the OFFICIAL charging documents.

In particular: Again, these are hybrid offences, NOT summary offences. The Crown may elect to prosecute by indictment or as a summary offence. Even if the Crown has officially elected to proceed on the basis of a summary offence, the prudent approach is still to WAIT until there is a final disposition that is for sure for a summary offence (or less).

A qualified lawyer experienced in immigration law (not just a criminal defense lawyer) MIGHT, just might, say it is OK to proceed with a citizenship application before there is a final disposition, if it is FOR SURE that the Crown has formally filed charging documents officially prosecuting these as summary offences.

There can be a big difference between a criminal defense lawyer's assurances the charges are summary offences, based on the status of the prosecution and projected outcome, and whether such hybrid offences are currently, officially, being prosecuted as summary offences. Unless and until every one of these charges is being prosecuted as a summary offence, based on the formal, OFFICIAL charging documents filed with the court, they constitute a prohibition. A PR subject to a prohibition is NOT eligible for citizenship.

Marvin Russel

Feb 16, 2022
I am not a Canadian lawyer . . . but these offences are clearly defined in the Criminal Code: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-35.html#h-120223

None of these are summary offences. They are all hybrid offences.

If you are charged with these offences, best to NOT apply for citizenship UNTIL they are finally disposed of, and even then ONLY if the final disposition is for sure a conviction or convictions for summary offences.

If you do not want to wait, see a competent lawyer well experienced in practicing immigration and citizenship law, and be sure that lawyer has the opportunity to review the OFFICIAL charging documents.

In particular: Again, these are hybrid offences, NOT summary offences. The Crown may elect to prosecute by indictment or as a summary offence. Even if the Crown has officially elected to proceed on the basis of a summary offence, the prudent approach is still to WAIT until there is a final disposition that is for sure for a summary offence (or less).

A qualified lawyer experienced in immigration law (not just a criminal defense lawyer) MIGHT, just might, say it is OK to proceed with a citizenship application before there is a final disposition, if it is FOR SURE that the Crown has formally filed charging documents officially prosecuting these as summary offences.

There can be a big difference between a criminal defense lawyer's assurances the charges are summary offences, based on the status of the prosecution and projected outcome, and whether such hybrid offences are currently, officially, being prosecuted as summary offences. Unless and until every one of these charges is being prosecuted as a summary offence, based on the formal, OFFICIAL charging documents filed with the court, they constitute a prohibition. A PR subject to a prohibition is NOT eligible for citizenship.
It is said that:
The crown elects to proceed Summarily if limited period waived

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It is said that:
The crown elects to proceed Summarily if limited period waived
There is one small word with big implications here: the word "IF." That's a conditional.

It looks like you are charged with hybrid offences (not summary offences) which the Crown will elect to proceed with summarily, and "will" is about what will happen in the future, not what is officially of record now. And your lawyer is confident, perhaps certain, that WILL BE the outcome. When it is, as they say, a done deal.

Again, I am not a Canadian lawyer.

But a criminal defense lawyer is not typically an experienced immigration lawyer. To get a professional opinion about how the criminal case can affect an application for citizenship, and advice about applying for citizenship given the criminal charges, you should see a lawyer experienced in practicing immigration and citizenship law.

I do not mean to cause worry. If YOUR lawyer has firmly said these charges will be summary offences, that is most likely how it will go.

Key here is that is in regards to how this WILL go, what the outcome WILL BE in the criminal case. Which is of course the criminal defense lawyer's focus: the outcome of the criminal charges.

And if that is indeed how it goes, if the final outcome is, say, a conviction for a summary offence, this will have only a minimal, peripheral impact on your application for citizenship (see my first post above and discussion about finger print requests, delays, and such).

What I tried to emphasize above is that it is probably best to WAIT to apply for citizenship UNTIL the criminal case is finally concluded. Wait until there is a definitive, final outcome. Then there is no doubt, no question. If that final outcome is a conviction for a summary offence, that is not a prohibition. As long as you meet all the other requirements, you are eligible for citizenship. There may be some non-routine processing, like a finger print request, maybe a request for a copy of the court's official record of the disposition in the criminal case, but it will not block you from becoming a citizen.

BUT it appears the criminal case is still in process. As long as the criminal case is still in process, still pending, what the ultimate outcome WILL BE is NOT relevant to IRCC processing a citizenship application. What matters while the criminal case is still pending is what charges in the official court record are pending.

An agreement or election by the Crown "to proceed Summarily" does NOT necessarily mean the charge is officially (in the court's records) being prosecuted as a summary offence. It depends on what documentation has been filed with the court. Moreover, when the Crown's election to proceed summarily is conditional, which is indicated by the "if" (as in "if limited period waived"), that can mean, and I believe generally does mean, as they say, the deal is not done. No matter how sure it is that will be the deal.

If you are certain there will be no snags in the criminal case, and it will reach a final disposition fairly soon resulting, at worst, in a summary offence conviction, odds are you could apply for citizenship sooner and it will be OK . . . but that is OK in the sense your application eventually results in a grant of citizenship. It might even go fairly smoothly. BUT the odds are higher there will delays in processing beyond those caused by a finger print request.

In contrast, waiting to apply until the criminal case is over, done, when as they say the deal is done, that is the LOWEST RISK approach and very likely to be the faster way to get to taking the oath of citizenship. (But as discussed above, still anticipate a finger print request and some non-routine processing delays.)

pari1908

Feb 1, 2024
Hello I had pending charges for theft under 5000 x 3x in 2021 and the case was dsicharged on oct 22 2021 and I was not plead guilty.

I have my citizenship application going and people with same AOR date completed their LPP but mine is still inprogress. My BG was completed on 20th Feb 2023 and nothing after that. Does the charges for which I not even guilty and removed from file affects this process?

How much delay should I expect?

Can I also do RCMP on my own and provide that document or I should wait for them ?