+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can he wait two semesters for a class?

bethanya

Dec 18, 2009
Canada...eh?
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI!

My American fiance was enrolled in a school in BC, the same school I went to. I had some health issues, and since he chose to help me, his courses suffered and caused him to fall below the 2.0 average needed to stay in the school. After that semester, the school doesn't want him to enroll until next fall. He has a two year student visa. We're also planning on getting married middle of June, so then we can start on a permanent residency application, which will allow him to live here. He's been living with my family since December.

Is it possible to enroll in an online/campus school for next fall and still be able to live in Canada until that time? And if so, will he even be able to come back to Canada if he leaves the country for a short period? If he enrolls in the same school as before, since he has a student card and everything, would that work? We just need him to have the status of a student so he can legally be up here. Will that work? Or, will we have to think of something else?

Thanks!

bethanya

Dec 18, 2009
Canada...eh?
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello? PLEASE? Does ANYONE have any ideas of what to do here?!! I REALLY need an answer...pretty much ASAP. PLEASE!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know that if he was on a work permit and quit his job, he would still be allowed to stay as long as it is valid so I am assuming it is the same with a study permit. I don't think anybody will actually check if he's still studying unless he gets to the point that he has to renew.

navdeep_mann

Jan 21, 2010
No,he cann't do this.Either he has to study or leave canada.If he doesn't go college be aware college will inform immigration and Citizenship canada

Tarry

Star Member
Sep 22, 2008
bethanya said:
HI!

My American fiance was enrolled in a school in BC, the same school I went to. I had some health issues, and since he chose to help me, his courses suffered and caused him to fall below the 2.0 average needed to stay in the school. After that semester, the school doesn't want him to enroll until next fall. He has a two year student visa. We're also planning on getting married middle of June, so then we can start on a permanent residency application, which will allow him to live here. He's been living with my family since December.

Is it possible to enroll in an online/campus school for next fall and still be able to live in Canada until that time? And if so, will he even be able to come back to Canada if he leaves the country for a short period? If he enrolls in the same school as before, since he has a student card and everything, would that work? We just need him to have the status of a student so he can legally be up here. Will that work? Or, will we have to think of something else?

Thanks!
He can only stay out of college for a semester, and that can be justified by his falling back and not being able to proceed because he will have to take a course which is not offered the second semester. Typical example is: You enrolled in course in September 2008. The first semester ends in December 2008. Unfortunately you failed the semester and cannot proceed to the second semester which starts in January 2009. That means you will be out of school the second semester which runs from January 2009 to April 2009. Since you want to take the same course or any other course that is not offered in the January 2009 intake, you will have to wait the next intake which will be September 2009. So the semester following the failed one is the only semester you can be out of school. If you have to be more than a semester(academically), then you will have to go back home. If you hold an off campus work permit (issued to students in good academic standing), you are not allowed to use it. You will have to surrender it since you failed the semester which means while you are waiting for the coming semester, you can not make any extra $$. By the way, Colleges and Universities report to the immigration about the international students enrolled in their institutions. As Mentioned by LEON, he can get away with it until he needs renewal, then there is going to be big problem, because certainly he will be asked to leave and reapply from his home country, which in other words mean Good bye. I have seen it happen to my classmate. Don't let it happen to him. Good Luck!!

Cheers!!
Tarry