+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependents travel Out of Canada during PR processing?

Jul 19, 2023
I am the primary applicant, We are submitting an inland CEC application. My spouse and 1-year-old wants to travel to my home country. She is planning to live there for 6 to 9 months. She will leave after submitting biometrics and medicals.
She has an open work permit till July 2024, but most likely she will return in Sep 2024. For this whole period, I will be in Canada and can collect their PR cards.

Our profile has not yet been picked but hoping it will be picked up in the next couple of months current CRS score is 476 in the STEM category, and she wants to skip the winter also her brother's marriage is planned in Feb 2024.
Do we see any legal issues here or is it better to stay together until we receive PR? What kind of questions might she face when she comes back?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Ok, there is no issue with her travelling to her home country while the application is being processed. However, her side of the application will be finalized as an outland applicant. She will not receive eCOPR similar to you and her PR card will not be process until she returns to Canada. At some point in the process (Portal 1) IRCC will ask to declare if you are in Canada or not, depending on how much time she has left outside of the country, she will have to return to declare inland otherwise she has to declare outland. Her application will then be finalized through the nearest Canadian consulate in you home country. All of this is added processing time.

Reactions: shivaprasad.idm19

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I am the primary applicant, We are submitting an inland CEC application. My spouse and 1-year-old wants to travel to my home country. She is planning to live there for 6 to 9 months. She will leave after submitting biometrics and medicals.
She has an open work permit till July 2024, but most likely she will return in Sep 2024. For this whole period, I will be in Canada and can collect their PR cards.

Our profile has not yet been picked but hoping it will be picked up in the next couple of months current CRS score is 476 in the STEM category, and she wants to skip the winter also her brother's marriage is planned in Feb 2024.
Do we see any legal issues here or is it better to stay together until we receive PR? What kind of questions might she face when she comes back?
You can leave Canada at any point, coming back is another issue.

Assuming she has a valid visa, she would be able to come back at any point prior to the expiration of the visa.

If you apply for PR while she is away, you will have to have provide her current address outside of Canada as the processing would have to be done elsewhere. This will also determine where she needs to appear to provide her biometrics, etc.

You will NOT be picking her PR card because her card will not be issued until she has landed in Canada. She will only become a PR once she enters Canada again and has had the PR application approved.

The fact that your applications will be processed separately, will most definitely mean that it will take longer. It is impossible to say how much longer and how long it would take otherwise.

The bottom line is, that it can be done, there is nothing wrong with it, but it will be different than what you have in mind.

sonaanuu

Sep 23, 2023
Ok, there is no issue with her travelling to her home country while the application is being processed. However, her side of the application will be finalized as an outland applicant. She will not receive eCOPR similar to you and her PR card will not be process until she returns to Canada. At some point in the process (Portal 1) IRCC will ask to declare if you are in Canada or not, depending on how much time she has left outside of the country, she will have to return to declare inland otherwise she has to declare outland. Her application will then be finalized through the nearest Canadian consulate in you home country. All of this is added processing time.
- Does IRCC actually know if the person is inland or outland?
- Where can we check processing time for these sort of outland applications?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
- Does IRCC actually know if the person is inland or outland?
- Where can we check processing time for these sort of outland applications?
When you receive portal 1 IRCC will ask you to declare if you are inside or outside of Canada. If you declare that you are inside while you are not in the country that is misrepresentation. You will definitely have issues with border agents when you return. Additionally, if you declare that you are inside Canada when you are not, and COPR is issued; all of your temporary travel documents would become invalid. This means you can't just board a flight back to Canada and you can not get another visa either. You have 2 remedies at this point wait for the actual PR card to be mail to your home address and have someone send it to you overseas to return. or After PR card has been issued, apply for PRTD which could take months. Even then you return will raised questions. You left Canada as a temporary resident, now you are returning with PR card in hand with no embassy issued COPR and PR visa. So you see how doing this doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you declare that you are in fact outside of Canada, they can either pause your side of the application pending your return or you can instruct them to complete the process in your home country Canadian embassy. These are your options if waiting is going to be a problem.