+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependents apply for citizenship without Principal Applicant

harry807

Jun 3, 2009
I know that you have to complete 2 years in last 5 years to maintain PR status and 3 years in last 4 years to obtain citizenship.

My question is how does this counting works, its for each individual independently or its dependent on Principal Applicant.

What if Principal Applicant losses his PR status but dependents are still maintaining it.

what if dependent complete 3 years without Principal Applicant, can they apply for Citizenship.

Reactions: SlimGrisson

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once all of them land, there is no principal applicant any more. Each individual has to meet their own requirements.

Minor children, that is under 18 can not apply for citizenship on their own. One of the parents must apply for them as they apply themselves. Minor children do not have to meet the 3 in 4 years requirement but the parent who is applying for them does. If the children are 18, they will have to apply by themselves, meet the residency requirements and pass the citizenship exam.

harry807

Jun 3, 2009
so its possible if wife stays in Canada for 3 continuous year while husband does not due to job, Wife can get Citizenship and than husband can apply for PR(thru sponsorship from wife) any time later even if he loses his permanent status for now

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, the wife can get citizenship and apply for the kids at the same time or they can apply for themselves if they are 18 or older. The wife can sponsor the husband back for PR later if he loses it.

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Just want to re-open this thread. Is this still the case? I.e. Primary applicant loses PR, can the dependents who stay in Canada for more than 3 years out of the 5 years visa period (new Bill C-6), still proceed with their citizenship applications without the original primary applicant?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just want to re-open this thread. Is this still the case? I.e. Primary applicant loses PR, can the dependents who stay in Canada for more than 3 years out of the 5 years visa period (new Bill C-6), still proceed with their citizenship applications without the original primary applicant?
Yes.

Still have to pay income tax if leaving your dependents in Canada. Sorry my personal pet peeve.