+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can anyone please tell me if this writing task will receive 9 or not in CELPIP wt 1

immortal005

Feb 9, 2024
You recently made reservations for dinner at a very famous and expensive restaurant in town. However, the meal and the service were terrible. The restaurant manager was not available to solve the problem, so you left without a resolution.

Write an email to the restaurant's manager in about 150-200 words. Your email should do the following things:
  • State what problems you had with the food you ordered.
  • Complain about the service.
  • Describe how you want the restaurant to resolve the problem to your satisfaction.
Dear Mr. Roy,

The purpose of my writing today is to lodge a complaint about a recent experience in Jack's Kitchen in which we went for our 6th-anniversary celebration. We found the quality of food and service not up to the mark.

To begin with, we organized our date in your restaurant thinking that it would be an extraordinary night considering your popularity among the food enthusiasts. Nevertheless, the meal that we received was cold. On top of that, my wife has a serious condition and she can not tolerate any level of heat, even after giving the instructions the curry was extremely spicy.

Given that we decided to order some cocktails but surprisingly enough, even after waiting for 45 minutes, the drinks never came. Upon asking about the booze to one of the serving staff, we were informed that the waiter forgot to convey the order to the bar.

Conclusively, I am requesting you to provide me with a refund or offer a complimentary dinner on my wife's birthday which is on Friday next week.

Your cooperation in this matter is highly appreciated. Furthermore, an open line of communication in this case will greatly help out.

Sincerely,
Katha Patel

immortal005

Feb 9, 2024
City Development Survey

You live in a small town of 10,000 people. A large green area in the centre of town is undeveloped. The city has sent out an opinion survey to see what residents would like to have built in that area.

Choose the option that you prefer. Why do you prefer your choice? Explain the reasons for your choice. Write about 150-200 words.
Option A: Shopping Complex: This shopping mall would include restaurants, a large supermarket, and a movie theatre.
Option B: Recreational Park: This park would include a sports complex, a large green area, and a small petting zoo.

The idea of renovating green fields has sparked recent debate and controversy. I opine that building a park is a more apropos option due to the average age of people in our town and lack of infrastructure for sports.

Conspicuously, since the majority of people in our town are older than 60 years, I believe constructing a park will give them more options to pass their free time. Furthermore, youths in our neighborhood have to travel to a nearby city for their sports practices, but now they will be able to prepare and arrange various competitions.

Nonetheless, shopping malls may serve a valuable purpose but might not be a great choice. Due to the increase of OTT platforms and marketplaces, watching movies in theaters and going out shopping is now outdated. Another indisputable fact is that the air quality index is way higher in our surroundings and cutting down the greens will make it worse.

Based on the aforementioned reasoning, I still stand by my stance. That is shopping market is not a suited option considering our requirements and the current scenario.

worddemy

Jan 22, 2024
You recently made reservations for dinner at a very famous and expensive restaurant in town. However, the meal and the service were terrible. The restaurant manager was not available to solve the problem, so you left without a resolution.

Write an email to the restaurant's manager in about 150-200 words. Your email should do the following things:
  • Describe how you want the restaurant to resolve the problem to your satisfaction.
Dear Mr. Roy,

The purpose of my writing today is to lodge a complaint about a recent experience in Jack's Kitchen in which we went for our 6th-anniversary celebration. We found the quality of food and service not up to the mark.

To begin with, we organized our date in your restaurant thinking that it would be an extraordinary night considering your popularity among the food enthusiasts. Nevertheless, the meal that we received was cold. On top of that, my wife has a serious condition and she can not tolerate any level of heat, even after giving the instructions the curry was extremely spicy.

Given that we decided to order some cocktails but surprisingly enough, even after waiting for 45 minutes, the drinks never came. Upon asking about the booze to one of the serving staff, we were informed that the waiter forgot to convey the order to the bar.

Conclusively, I am requesting you to provide me with a refund or offer a complimentary dinner on my wife's birthday which is on Friday next week.

Your cooperation in this matter is highly appreciated. Furthermore, an open line of communication in this case will greatly help out.

Sincerely,
Katha Patel

Task Achievement (8/9): You have successfully completed the task by stating the problems with the food and service, complaining about the issues, and describing how you want the restaurant to resolve the problem. The content is relevant and fully addresses the prompt. You might enhance your response by providing more detailed suggestions for how the restaurant can improve or prevent such issues in the future.

Coherence and Cohesion (7/9): The email is well-organized and the information is arranged logically with clear progression. The use of paragraphs effectively separates different points. However, you could improve cohesion by using a wider range of linking words and phrases to better connect your ideas.

Lexical Resource (7/9): You demonstrate a good range of vocabulary suitable for the task, including terms specific to dining and complaints ("lodge a complaint," "quality of food and service," "complimentary dinner"). To aim for a higher score, vary your language more to avoid repetition, such as using synonyms for key terms and introducing more complex vocabulary to express dissatisfaction and resolutions.

Grammatical Range and Accuracy (7/9): The email contains a variety of sentence structures and demonstrates good grammatical control. Minor errors are present but do not impede communication. For a higher score, focus on perfecting complex sentence structures and ensuring the accuracy of verb tenses and subject-verb agreement.

Overall Score: 7.25/9

Your email effectively communicates the issues experienced and requests a satisfactory resolution. To improve, you can consider incorporating more diverse linking phrases, using a wider vocabulary, and ensuring grammatical accuracy. Additionally, providing specific suggestions for improvement could make your complaint more constructive, potentially leading to better outcomes and a more persuasive letter.

immortal005

Feb 9, 2024
Task Achievement (8/9): You have successfully completed the task by stating the problems with the food and service, complaining about the issues, and describing how you want the restaurant to resolve the problem. The content is relevant and fully addresses the prompt. You might enhance your response by providing more detailed suggestions for how the restaurant can improve or prevent such issues in the future.

Coherence and Cohesion (7/9): The email is well-organized and the information is arranged logically with clear progression. The use of paragraphs effectively separates different points. However, you could improve cohesion by using a wider range of linking words and phrases to better connect your ideas.

Lexical Resource (7/9): You demonstrate a good range of vocabulary suitable for the task, including terms specific to dining and complaints ("lodge a complaint," "quality of food and service," "complimentary dinner"). To aim for a higher score, vary your language more to avoid repetition, such as using synonyms for key terms and introducing more complex vocabulary to express dissatisfaction and resolutions.

Grammatical Range and Accuracy (7/9): The email contains a variety of sentence structures and demonstrates good grammatical control. Minor errors are present but do not impede communication. For a higher score, focus on perfecting complex sentence structures and ensuring the accuracy of verb tenses and subject-verb agreement.

Overall Score: 7.25/9

Your email effectively communicates the issues experienced and requests a satisfactory resolution. To improve, you can consider incorporating more diverse linking phrases, using a wider vocabulary, and ensuring grammatical accuracy. Additionally, providing specific suggestions for improvement could make your complaint more constructive, potentially leading to better outcomes and a more persuasive letter.
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and I'll try to incorporate these things in my writing. Actually, the celpip exam is marked out of 12 and my question was that I'll be able to get 9 or not but as per your feedback, I guess I'll get it. Thanks again for your time.

Reactions: worddemy

worddemy

Jan 22, 2024
City Development Survey

You live in a small town of 10,000 people. A large green area in the centre of town is undeveloped. The city has sent out an opinion survey to see what residents would like to have built in that area.

Choose the option that you prefer. Why do you prefer your choice? Explain the reasons for your choice. Write about 150-200 words.
Option A: Shopping Complex: This shopping mall would include restaurants, a large supermarket, and a movie theatre.
Option B: Recreational Park: This park would include a sports complex, a large green area, and a small petting zoo.

The idea of renovating green fields has sparked recent debate and controversy. I opine that building a park is a more apropos option due to the average age of people in our town and lack of infrastructure for sports.

Conspicuously, since the majority of people in our town are older than 60 years, I believe constructing a park will give them more options to pass their free time. Furthermore, youths in our neighborhood have to travel to a nearby city for their sports practices, but now they will be able to prepare and arrange various competitions.

Nonetheless, shopping malls may serve a valuable purpose but might not be a great choice. Due to the increase of OTT platforms and marketplaces, watching movies in theaters and going out shopping is now outdated. Another indisputable fact is that the air quality index is way higher in our surroundings and cutting down the greens will make it worse.

Based on the aforementioned reasoning, I still stand by my stance. That is shopping market is not a suited option considering our requirements and the current scenario.
From the IELTS window, please feel free to convert the score:

Task Response (8/9): The response clearly states a preference for Option B (Recreational Park) and provides relevant reasons supporting this choice, focusing on the demographic characteristics of the town and the existing needs for recreational infrastructure. The candidate effectively addresses all parts of the prompt with a well-developed argument. To aim for a higher score, you might expand on how the park could specifically cater to the needs of different community members beyond the mentioned groups.

Coherence and Cohesion (7/9):
The response is well-organized, with a clear introduction, development of ideas, and a conclusion that reiterates the stance. The use of paragraphs to separate ideas aids in the essay's overall clarity and readability. For improvement, incorporating a wider range of cohesive devices could enhance the logical flow of ideas.

Lexical Resource (8/9): The vocabulary is varied and topic-appropriate, with terms like "renovating green fields," "infrastructure for sports," and "air quality index" accurately conveying the candidate's ideas. Using synonyms effectively avoids repetition.

Grammatical Range and Accuracy (7/9): The response demonstrates a good range of grammatical structures with a relatively high level of accuracy. Occasional errors or awkward phrasings slightly detract from the overall quality. Focusing on perfecting complex sentence structures and maintaining grammatical accuracy throughout could lead to a higher score.

Overall Score: 7.5/9

Your essay successfully argues in favor of developing a recreational park over a shopping complex, with well-explained reasoning that aligns with the community's demographics and needs. To enhance your response, you can consider providing more detailed examples of how the park could serve the entire community, employing a wider range of cohesive devices for smoother transitions between ideas, and refining grammatical accuracy.

Reactions: duongkylan

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

Dear Mr. Roy,

Sincerely,
Katha Patel
I hope you never go to a restaurant, you seem the customer from hell ;)

Reactions: Kaibigan

Unex

Feb 27, 2024
City Development Survey

Please what material do you use?