+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging OWP eligibility and approval chances

akaur13

Star Member
Oct 3, 2020
Hi, can you please share whether one can apply for a bridging open work permit, if they have got the AOR for their Quebec PR but current closed work permit is not expiring anytime soon ? Or is it just for those whose current work permit is expiring in the next 3 months or who will lose their status in the near future ? If someone is on a closed work permit till 2026 but the intention is to change the conditions of the employer specific work permit and to reduce the dependencies on one particular employer, can they apply for a bridging OWP ?

M4rD0g

Feb 25, 2023
Hi, can you please share whether one can apply for a bridging open work permit, if they have got the AOR for their Quebec PR but current closed work permit is not expiring anytime soon ? Or is it just for those whose current work permit is expiring in the next 3 months or who will lose their status in the near future ? If someone is on a closed work permit till 2026 but the intention is to change the conditions of the employer specific work permit and to reduce the dependencies on one particular employer, can they apply for a bridging OWP ?
Hey @akaur13, I have a question about your AOR. Did you apply to the Quebec Skilled Worker program after getting the CSQ? If yes, did you apply online? How long after applying online until you receive the AOR?

nouveauRP

Star Member
Jan 24, 2023
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html
This lists all the conditions to apply for BOWP for Quebec skilled workers, one of the eligible conditions is a valid work permit (without specifying any expiration requirements). So yes, you should be able to apply for BOWP even if your current closed work permit is valid till 2026.

Reactions: akaur13

M4rD0g

Feb 25, 2023
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Around 20 days.
Thanks for replying. If you didn’t mind sharing, when did you receive your CSQ? I’m asking because I was invited to apply through Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class on January 18th. I only have 20 before this ITA expires. Although, I’m also waiting for a response from Quebec about my CSQ application, which will probably have a final decision this week. However, my WP will expire on April 1st and I need the AOR before that deadline in order to apply for a BOWP. I was willing to stay in Quebec but if the AOR takes 20 days through the Quebec Skilled Worker program it won’t work. Better use my ITA from the EE and apply now, the AOR should arrive within minutes for that stream.

akaur13

Star Member
Oct 3, 2020
Thanks for replying. If you didn’t mind sharing, when did you receive your CSQ? I’m asking because I was invited to apply through Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class on January 18th. I only have 20 before this ITA expires. Although, I’m also waiting for a response from Quebec about my CSQ application, which will probably have a final decision this week. However, my WP will expire on April 1st and I need the AOR before that deadline in order to apply for a BOWP. I was willing to stay in Quebec but if the AOR takes 20 days through the Quebec Skilled Worker program it won’t work. Better use my ITA from the EE and apply now, the AOR should arrive within minutes for that stream.
I received my CSQ in November 2022. I applied for PR in Feb 2023.
Honestly, Quebec AOR takes time IMO and this is the fastest I have seen Quebec AOR come i.e. 20 days.
Best of luck!

nouveauRP

Star Member
Jan 24, 2023
Yes! 20 days is close to the best case scenario. Generally, it takes 3-6 months for AOR for Quebec Skilled Worker application.