+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birth of a Baby after COPR

SamtoCanada

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
I searched right through the forum - and I got nothing that relates to me - I understand everyone has different situations

Background:
Our AOR was of Mar 2021 - we moved to US in June 2021
Informed IRCC about address change
Got pregnant in February - expected data of delivery Dec 2022
Got ADR and remedical request in July
Completed all 3 remedicals (Me, wife and son)
Received PPR yesterday - sent for stamping

Now, assuming our passports will be stamped within the next week or so, what should we do???

Before the questions - we were planning to have baby in US for the following reasons:
  1. Majority of the medical bills are paid and delivery should be technically without any charge now
  2. Cant get healthcare from Canada within 2 months from now (due to the 3 month wait)
  3. Better health priority in US
Questions and suggestions needed:
  1. Should we do soft landing from land in October and then come back in a week and deliver the baby in US in Dec?
    1. How difficult is the process of sponsoring?
    2. I assume, because he/she will have a US passport - we 3 can travel on PR card and he/she on his/her US passport. is that correct?
    3. How long does it take for him/her to be sponsored?
    4. If more than 6 months, what do we do?
    5. Are the charges more than $150 to sponsor him?
    6. Any requirements like job in Canada etc?
  2. Should we wait till the baby is born in US, then gather all his documents and report it to IRCC for him to be added?
    1. Whats the normal processing time on this?
    2. What if till this time we have to move back to our hometown? Would it create any issues, considering the address will change
Honestly, I just dont want to delay the entire processing for any reason, hence thinking of soft landing before baby is born and then continue with his sponsorship later on?

Alongwith the above help, I'm merely looking for someone to talk sense into me :)

Thank you so much for helping with this.

NikSharma01

Champion Member
Jan 3, 2019
I searched right through the forum - and I got nothing that relates to me - I understand everyone has different situations

Background:
Our AOR was of Mar 2021 - we moved to US in June 2021
Informed IRCC about address change
Got pregnant in February - expected data of delivery Dec 2022
Got ADR and remedical request in July
Completed all 3 remedicals (Me, wife and son)
Received PPR yesterday - sent for stamping

Now, assuming our passports will be stamped within the next week or so, what should we do???

Before the questions - we were planning to have baby in US for the following reasons:
  1. Majority of the medical bills are paid and delivery should be technically without any charge now
  2. Cant get healthcare from Canada within 2 months from now (due to the 3 month wait)
  3. Better health priority in US
Questions and suggestions needed:
  1. Should we do soft landing from land in October and then come back in a week and deliver the baby in US in Dec?
    1. How difficult is the process of sponsoring?
    2. I assume, because he/she will have a US passport - we 3 can travel on PR card and he/she on his/her US passport. is that correct?
    3. How long does it take for him/her to be sponsored?
    4. If more than 6 months, what do we do?
    5. Are the charges more than $150 to sponsor him?
    6. Any requirements like job in Canada etc?
  2. Should we wait till the baby is born in US, then gather all his documents and report it to IRCC for him to be added?
    1. Whats the normal processing time on this?
    2. What if till this time we have to move back to our hometown? Would it create any issues, considering the address will change
Honestly, I just dont want to delay the entire processing for any reason, hence thinking of soft landing before baby is born and then continue with his sponsorship later on?

Alongwith the above help, I'm merely looking for someone to talk sense into me :)

Thank you so much for helping with this.
Hi,

All the best for the baby!

Talking about your queries:

1) Soft landing is recommended if visa expiry date is before delivery.

1. Not difficult
2. Correct.
3. Close to 6 months, as you need to provide income related proofs.
4. Find a job or options to settle
5. No
6. Optional

2) Recommended option!! If you have plenty of time to enter the country on your visa.
1. Quicker for US candidates. Upto 3 months, 6 months in some exceptional cases.
2. Depends

Hope this helps.

Nehapatel92K

Jun 7, 2022
I am from India and now living in the United States with my husband and daughter. I got my COPR through Ontario PNP on November 16th,2023. Our COPR expiry date is August 30,2024. we're expecting our baby in the month of July,2024. However, we want our baby to be born in US. so, we're planning to move to Canada after our baby is born.

We came to know from FB groups that we need to inform IRCC about change in our family status, as our COPR will be deemed invalid soon after our baby is delivered, and we need to follow the process of getting new COPRs .

However, I did not find any details of such on IRCC website, I am very confused and worried, as IRCC seems to be not responding to Webforms, so that option is out of the window, Some people suggested earlier that we need to contact our VO. so if that's true then,

1- How to contact our VO?, Where can we find their contact info.?
2- What are the steps after that, what is the timeline we can expect till we have our new COPRs.?
3- Do we need to submit the original documents (passport, birth certificate of the baby) or wait till we get the response from them?
4- What is the response time from VO.?

Additionally, I have a colleague who was in the same situation, but she went to Canada without informing IRCC about their newborn, and did a soft-landing with their baby and came back to US. Border agent asked about the baby, but they mentioned that "Baby is a US citizen and will be travelling as a visitor and they will be adding their baby to their profile later on", and Border agent let them through.

I WOULD REALLY APPRICIATE IF YOU CAN EXPLAIN THE PROCESS IN DETAIL, Provide any IRCC or CIC links if possible.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE. @
NikSharma01