+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birth Certicates

derbeast

Star Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hi all,

CIC Seattle has gotten back to me and requested my aunt's and parents long birth certificates. Can I just send them photocopies of these or do they need the originals? I would prefer not to send the originals as it is difficult for my aunt to a new one if it goes missing. Or, if it is necessary to send the originals, will they send these back to me at a later stage?

Thanks,

Derek

pooja123

Feb 20, 2010
derbeast said:
Hi all,

CIC Seattle has gotten back to me and requested my aunt's and parents long birth certificates. Can I just send them photocopies of these or do they need the originals? I would prefer not to send the originals as it is difficult for my aunt to a new one if it goes missing. Or, if it is necessary to send the originals, will they send these back to me at a later stage?

Thanks,

Derek
You are not suppose to send original. Photocopies would work; to be on safe side, you can notarize the documents.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
derbeast said:
Hi all,

Thanks,

Derek
Do not sent the originals unless they explicitly ask for them (e.g., police certificates, language tests, transcripts). Instead, send a certified copy

Certified copies or notarized documents

To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

* “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”
* the name of the original document
* the date of the certification
* his or her name
* his or her official position or title
* his or her signature

Who can certify copies?

People authorized to certify copies include the following:

In Canada:

* a commissioner of oaths
* a notary public
* a justice of the peace

Outside Canada:

* a judge
* a magistrate
* a notary public
* an officer of a court of justice
* a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living

From the instructions at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG73.asp