+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

justinline

May 19, 2009
There is one final step of clause by clause consideration which is missing from these schedules. I think there will be more meetings held.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rigly68 said:
You are wrong ;D.

Once the bill passes with intent to reside clause removed then it is retroactive. It will be like the intent to reside clause never existed.
This hasn't been the case historically for applications already under process.

random hero

Star Member
Jul 6, 2016
vsoftco said:
Time spent on a visitor visa won't count. Only time spent under a working permit (working visa) will count as 1/2 day towards citizenship, up to a maximum of 1 year (i.e. can claim an year if you worked 2 years in Canada before becoming a PR).
are you sure? is that how it was before when the rule was 3 out of 5? this is the first time i hear about it! is it written anwhere ?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's how things have operated previously with different changes in legislation. For example, applications that were received by CIC, prior to bill C-24 coming into effect, were processed under the old legislation. That's how it tends to work - as I understand it.

vsoftco

Star Member
Aug 7, 2012
spyfy said:
This is not correct. Bill C-6 reads: "for every day during which the person was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act before becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days;"

From Wikipedia:

More specifically, the classes of Temporary Resident Documents under IMM1442 are as follows:
Temporary Student - study permit(also IMM1208),
Temporary Worker - work permit(also IMM 1102),
Temporary Visitor - visitor record(also IMM 1097),
Temporary Resident Permit holder who require TRP to overcome inadmissibility issues

Se even if you were in Canada just as a tourist, the days would count as half-days.
My bad, you are right!

smilermail

Star Member
Mar 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The committee has 6 cons and 3 libs and 6 non-affiliated. Is this fair?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jsm0085 said:
It's how things have operated previously with different changes in legislation. For example, applications that were received by CIC, prior to bill C-24 coming into effect, were processed under the old legislation. That's how it tends to work - as I understand it.
Yes they are processed that way but once you become a citizen the current rules at the current time for things as intent to reside apply to you.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rigly68 said:
Yes they are processed that way but once you become a citizen the current rules at the current time for things as intent to reside apply to you.
Absolutely.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Rigly68 said:
Once you become a citizen, the current rules of "intend to reside" no longer applies. The C-24 law applies only to PR thus only applicable to "citizenship processing period". Once you are citizen you are NO LONGER a "PR" thus C-24 doesn't apply.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
It is just a matter of time now that C-6 will become law, whether as it is or with amendments. However, I do wonder if this will be a temporary patch for the situation, until the Cons win the elections again. What will stop them from bringing back C-24 and making it law again? In fact, it could be one of the shiny promises of their electoral campaign, and the majority of Canadian citizens approve of C-24 when viewed as a national security bill.

I personally think rather than having C-6, C-24 should have been challenged through the Supreme Court to get a definite ruling on its conflict with the Constitution; that would have put the whole debate to an end.

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
marcher said:
It is just a matter of time now that C-6 will become law, whether as it is or with amendments. However, I do wonder if this will be a temporary patch for the situation, until the Cons win the elections again. What will stop them from bringing back C-24 and making it law again? In fact, it could be one of the shiny promises of their electoral campaign, and the majority of Canadian citizens approve of C-24 when viewed as a national security bill.

I personally think rather than having C-6, C-24 should have been challenged through the Supreme Court to get a definite ruling on its conflict with the Constitution; that would have put the whole debate to an end.
What i wonder sometimes is if Cons come back with something like C-24 in 2020 will its clauses(intent to reside ,revocation due to involvement in terrorism or something even harsh like revocation for some other crime or not living enough time in Canada ) apply to canadians who become citizens under c6 or only the ones that will be applying in that period.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
marcher said:

that is the ultimate question we will ever have .. is it going to be a temporary solution or dual citizens will always be under fear that such laws may pass again..

wamapr

Dec 2, 2016
tyl92 said:
that is the ultimate question we will ever have .. is it going to be a temporary solution or dual citizens will always be under fear that such laws may pass again..
We all are seeing what Trump is doing to the immigrants there; do you guys still think Cons here will have a chance to comeback so soon and mess it up here too??

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
wamapr said:
We all are seeing what Trump is doing to the immigrants there; do you guys still think Cons here will have a chance to comeback so soon and mess it up here too??
I personally think Cons best chance to defeat JT is Kevin oleary ,not because he has a popular mass appeal or something but because no other candidate is enough popular.No one really knows the names of most of them.Although his support is waning but JT is still a very popular pm that cannot be easily defeated.Even Harper was unpopular but still managed to win in 2011 beacuse of week opposition.Moreover kevin hasn't said anything so far that should worry immigrants.And Kelly leitch doesn't stand enough chance as not many Canadians(leaving aside a bunch of Quebec separatists)will support her hate rheotric.There is a fundamental difference the way people view other races in Us and Canada.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
wamapr said:
If there's anything we can learn from Trump presidency, it is that anything is possible - who would have thought he could even get the nomination last year around this time?