+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best border city to get settled for a NYC commuter.

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

Any thoughts on closest canadian border city for a NYC commuter. I have three middle/high school going children and i am looking for place to get settled in Canada which has both things i.e closest to NYC and also has good school?. Please help with your thought.

Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can check out the school ranking in Canada from this website to help you decide:

http://www.fraserinstitute.org/reportcards/schoolperformance/

thezieglers

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Best routes to NYC come from Montreal and the Quebec border... Montreal could be a good choice, but no other city in Qyebec.

Regarding Ontario: may be the corridor passing through Hamilton, Niagara Lakes and then I90 into NY? or Ottawa to cross the border via Kingston into I87?

Depends on your area of expertise also and labour market in the area

Good luck!

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks thezieglers and Steaky,

My situation is that i have a reasonable business setup in nyc and income stream is steady, for now at least. My wife would not work in Canada because of school going children. All they have to choose from is good schools (first preference), nice area to live which is also closer to nyc. Because i will be travelling to and from Canada by car, i am looking for border city best matches with my priorities. I looked for Hamilton but schools there are in yellow zone as per Frazer ratings which would be a problem. I am also looking other areas close to border as you suggested. Your advice in this regard is greatly appreciated. Thanks

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Commuting to and from NYC...man o' man that sounds like it would get old really fast. You know that's about a 6 hours drive each way depending on traffic? I did a similar commute every 2 weeks for 2 years and it was really draining and expensive. The border crossing at Plattsburg, NY is not at all fun and there are often long delays there to boot.

Bear in mind also that if you and your wife are both immigrants and were both educated outside of Canada and you send your kids to school in Quebec, they will be required to go to French schools.

I have no idea what kind of business you have but if you can manage to work online and spend most of your time in Canada, it would be so much more convenient.

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks PmmeDeRoute,

I would be seeing my family once a month to keep everything within budgets...time and money. I wish i could handle my business online which would have been ideal in this situation. Learning French would be great but at this stage of kids education.. it is lot more for them to handle with everything else which is going to be changed. Still thinking...Thank you.

cheers