+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Being sponsored-Very very confused and hopeless

Div

Jul 5, 2007
Hello! Ok let me get straight to the point.
There are a couple of things me and my husband messed up on I think. I would really appreciate some sorting out if anyone can help.
I came to Canada in July of 06 and married my fiance. What we had understood from the government when we called was this was ok to do if he planned on sponsoring me which he does. We've been saving up for application fees and been finding out what we can in the last year to be really prepared, but the more we look the more confused we get and the more problems arise.
1. I am a type 2 diabetic. Will this be a problem?
2. I was on supplemental security income, not welfare but a sort of disability that was applied for when I was a minor. I am 21 now and have been off for a year but haven't worked since I'm not legaly able to in Canada.
3. I have been here a year now and we planned on filing this month in July, have we waited to long?

It's very hard for us because both of us have never done anything like this at all before and we're doing it on our own. Even if you can't advise me on any of these things I would appreciate ANY advice at all. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

EDIT: I should also add, I am an american citizen and he is canadian, we have little to no evidence other then the words of our family and friends to prove our relationship, only a few digital photos on computer, old webcam pictures and maybe a few e-mails. I THINK a couple of greyhound tickets and a letter from my mother to him dating back two years. Would getting noterized letters from any of them help?

deedee

Jul 19, 2007
hello :) i dont think you have anything to worry about. i am also sponsoring my spouse ( we are married, i'm not sure that you are, but common-law and conjugal partner are also concidered spouse) who has kidney disease and as long as it is in the spouse catigory, then you are exempt from the medical section (providing that your disease is not contageouse; ie, poses a threat to other canadians) they dont look at the lenghth of time that you have been here before you file, preparing to file is a lenghthy process, which took my wife and i 5 months to complete. just make sure that your visa hasn't expired and that you are not in canada illegally. you can be here on any visa ( i think) even a visitors visa and then apply from inside canada, but that visa MUST NOT EXPIRE by the time that they have aknowlaged that they have received your application. it can take several months to aknowlage your application. i also spoke to a lawyer because of the health complication and he said to expect an interview, but that it wont necessarily happen.

good luck :)

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
From what I have researched on the CIC and read on this forum, you cannot obtain a visitor visa for Canada unless you are planning on leaving Canada eventually. Plus if you are an American citizen you do not require a visa to be in Canada. If you plan on being there permanently, you need to find some other option.

I am in a similar situation...My Canadian husband and I got married and are living here in the U.S. together and hope to move to Calgary within the next few months. I am trying to figure out a way that I can move up there with him and still be "legal." We are planning on starting the application process outside of Canada, which is a faster option. But eventually I would like to move there to be with him, but we don't know how long the application will take, so I am trying to find a way to be up there while the application is still in process...

If you are in Canada, you may call the CIC Call Centre for some advice on your situation. The phone number is 1 888 242‑2100 and below is the link to more info:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp

deedee

Jul 19, 2007
hello again, the situation may be different for me because my wife cannot stay in canada because she needs to be covered by health care while she is here, which is impossible, due to her kidney disease. We saw a lawyer who told us that if we did want to do an in-canada sponsorship that all she needed to do was come on a visitors visa and apply for permanent residency right away because it can take a long time before they aknoledge the application. once the application is aknowledged, you can apply to extend your visiter's visa and/or get a temporary residents visa on the grounds that you are applying for permanent residency in-canada. it may be different if the person that is sponsoring you does not live in canada.

deedee

Jul 19, 2007
sorry forgot to mention that being an american citizen you automatically qualify for visitors visa, and that is why you dont need to apply for one.

Div

Jul 5, 2007
Thank you so much for this feedback and info, any little bit helps alot, to calm nerves and to prepare for the future of my immigration. We have the money saved up, we just need to go get my doctors appointment and finger prints done, and We're ready to apply! I'll keep you informed on how it goes!