Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Maybe we shouldn't prolong this discussion on taxes, in the "Health" category, but I must make one more point: Canada is at a crossroads, and CRA needs to seriously repair its tarnished reputation as a fair tax collector.

Canada relies on taxpayers complying with tax law -- paying taxes voluntarily (prompted no doubt by the threat of an audit). Canadians largely still think of CRA as a fair institution, but respect is declining. In Italy, evading crushing taxes is a national sport; you're considered an idiot if you don't, since the government routinely misuses tax revenues, and taxes are so high.

In Canada, CRA (when it was called Revenue Canada) used to tell the taxpayer if he forgot to use a legitmate deduction, and voluntarily give a refund. Now, CRA quietly pockets the money (it's policy!).

Alan Baggett (in the Finance and Taxation category) cites a case where CRA argued on one side of an issue for case #1 in the morning, and in the afternoon, same court, same judge, took the opposite side in a second case. The purpose apparently was not to apply tax law impartially, fairly, but rather to take whatever tack netted more money.

If this continues, if CRA continues to tarnish its reputation, it spells an end to an effective voluntary tax system. And CRA makes it worse by insulting our intelligence, trying to tell us this is “fair” when it is simply business.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Toby, you should think about offshore immigration trust for the first 5 years here.
If you stay less than 3 years our of 5 yrs in Canada you wont be able to apply for Canadian citizenship.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
haver said:
Toby, you should think about offshore immigration trust for the first 5 years here.
If you stay less than 3 years our of 5 yrs in Canada you wont be able to apply for Canadian citizenship.
Hmmm. I think Toby is Canadian, sponsoring his wife.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
|True, Jobseeker, I am Canadian.

However, Haver, I have been a non-taxpayer for 6 years. If I established an immigration trust, it would give me a tax holiday for 5 years.

But what happens then? When the trust ends, is the ACB equal to the value when the trust was established, or the value at the end of the 5-year trust?