+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australians Permanently In Canada - Culture Shock?

Maplekoala

May 4, 2017
Hi

I am at the very start of my research into a permanent move to Canada (Saskatoon) from Western Australia and I was hoping to hear from other Australians on how the move has been for you. We (Canadian hubby and I) are in the over 50 bracket, so that might have a bearing on some of my questions too.

Have you found a stark difference in culture?
How have you adapted to the winters and the lifestyle that goes along with that?
Have you found it easy to fit in and make new friends (especially if you are not younger or have children)?
Are there any aspects about being an Aussie that Canadians find challenging (e.g. our sense of humour, directness etc)

Any other advice as we begin this long journey of research into what will be a huge move from sunshine to snow :eek:

Thanks so much!

MK

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1st things 1st you have chosen the correct username Maplekoala ;D

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Sorry, no Aussie here, but from NZ :p

Moved to Canada and had absolutely no difficulties in adapting to people, wheather or even driving on the other side of the road.

If you like your beer, no sweat here. Canadians like to drink, too. In public there is less directness, a lot more PC than I am used too. You can make friends here no harder or easier than anywhere else on the planet, it depends on you.

As to snow...well, we have summers too. It is not all white 12 months of the year. I live in Vancouver and usually there is no snow. Winter 2016/2017 was a bit different, quite a bit snow, cold and miserable. I recommend, before you move, come over here for a few weeks to check out the place. Just one thing, Canada is huge..Australia is approximately 7,741,220 sq km, while Canada is approximately 9,984,670 sq km. You may want to think before you come where to settle initially.

Maplekoala

May 4, 2017
Sorry, no Aussie here, but from NZ :p

Moved to Canada and had absolutely no difficulties in adapting to people, wheather or even driving on the other side of the road.

If you like your beer, no sweat here. Canadians like to drink, too. In public there is less directness, a lot more PC than I am used too. You can make friends here no harder or easier than anywhere else on the planet, it depends on you.

As to snow...well, we have summers too. It is not all white 12 months of the year. I live in Vancouver and usually there is no snow. Winter 2016/2017 was a bit different, quite a bit snow, cold and miserable. I recommend, before you move, come over here for a few weeks to check out the place. Just one thing, Canada is huge..Australia is approximately 7,741,220 sq km, while Canada is approximately 9,984,670 sq km. You may want to think before you come where to settle initially.

Thank you for your reply and insights :) As I stated in my post, we are considering Saskatoon or Victoria at the moment. So much to think about but we are taking our time on this one as it's such a huge decision. All the best!

MK