+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ATTN PMM or other experts: Can I get LMO as a graduate student?

jerryching

Mar 22, 2008
Hello PMM and/or other experts:

I am an international Ph.D. student with valid study permit. I no longer wish to continue with my study, and I want to find a job and then quit my Ph.D. Can I try to find an employer who can apply for LMO for me? I am thinking of getting LMO first, and then switch from study permit to work permit. Is this legal?

After I start to work, I will also apply for skilled worker permanent residency. Is such a plan possible?

Any comments/suggestions are welcomed. Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jerryching said:

I am an international Ph.D. student with valid study permit. I no longer wish to continue with my study, and I want to find a job and then quit my Ph.D. Can I try to find an employer who can apply for LMO for me? I am thinking of getting LMO first, and then switch from study permit to work permit. Is this legal?

After I start to work, I will also apply for skilled worker permanent residency. Is such a plan possible?

1. Find job, get LMO, apply for work permit. Yes it is legal.
2. You need 1 year of continuous work in a skilled occupation to apply for PR.

PMM

jerryching

Mar 22, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

jerryching said:

PMM
Hello PMM, thank you! I guess before getting the LMO and the work permit, I could not start working yet. So, are employers generally willing to apply LMO for me before I can start working for them?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jerryching said:
PMM said:
Hi

jerryching said:

PMM
Hello PMM, thank you! I guess before getting the LMO and the work permit, I could not start working yet. So, are employers generally willing to apply LMO for me before I can start working for them?
They don't have a choice, LMO and a work permit before you start work.

PMM