+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

area of training list - confusing info & general opinion on my case

avricardo

Jul 1, 2012
Guys,

I need help in interpreting the info in the document called 'area-of-training list' [available on the official website immigration-quebec. gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/divers/domaines-6.pdf] - I didn't find it very reader friendly. I have two main doubts.

My 1st doubt pertains to the the ticks in the middle columns entitled 'Diplôme étranger' & 'Diplôme du Québec'. I understand what these titles mean in French, but I don't understand the ticks in the columns. My 1st interpretation was that, for example, a foreign diploma in Law (1st page 1st line) WOULD NOT (as it's not ticked) get the 6 points while a Law diploma obtained in Québec WOULD (it's ticked). Following that rationale (that's when I got confused), only the diplomas in Nutrition (2nd page of doc, 3rd line) obtained outside Québec would get the points (as only the column 'Diplôme étranger' is ticked). To me, that doesn't make sense: while I understand why a law diploma obtained outside Québec would not grant any points (different legal systems), I don't understand why a diploma in nutrition obtained in Québec also wouldn't.

My 2nd doubt pertains to the title of the 2nd column only: 'Diplôme du Québec ou équivalent'. Do they consider a diploma to be equivalent if it has more or less the same amount of years of studies? In that case, this whole distinction between diplomas obtained in Québec and outside Québec doesn't make any sense.

Quick summary of my situation for context and/or opinion if you could kindly be bothered giving me:

33yo male professional
5-year undergrad in Law (Brazilian University)
1.5 years of full-time, self-employed experience as a translator (Port-Eng-Port) and Eng teacher for prospective diplomats
3 years of full-time experience with Immigration (immigration officer) and International Relations (Foreign Affairs Ministry)
Then back to Uni for a 2-year Masters by research in IR finishing in Feb 2013
Fluent in English and French (IELTS 8 and holder of the DALF, obtained in France) - also fluent in Portuguese (native tongue) & Spanish
No kids, a wife, but probably in process of separation. If we end up not separating, she's similarly qualified and as more linguistically skilled (speaks the 4 languages I do plus Chinese) .
Never been to Canada, but know a lot about it (have and have had a few friends and flatmates) and studied & lived in 5 different countries: Brazil, France, the UK, Australia & the USA. Very interested in the Canadian approach to multiculturalism and immigration minorities - would love to get a job in this area in Québec for instance.
ANY ONE WITH ANY FURTHER COMMENTS AND/OR HINTS/SUGGESTIONS?

Any comment/opinion will be much appreciated. Thanks.

dejvis

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi i have the same doubt please if zou have had any info reply to me

manojneelu

Star Member
Jun 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ-HK/VO-ND
NOC Code......
2146 Aeronautical Engineer
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
Doc's Request.
Not yet
AOR Received.
Not yet
IELTS Request
Results sent / 7.5 band
LANDED..........
2013...??
avricardo,

If a Quebec diploma is NOT ticked in the AOT list giving 6 points, it most likely means that it will earn 12 or 16 points!! Please go to the link <http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/divers/domaines-12-16.pdf> and verify if it is true for the "Diploma in Law" example you used. Generally speaking, a Quebec diploma earns you higher points compared to a similar foreign diploma, because a Quebec diploma scores higher on Employ-ability factor, according to MICC.

Regarding your 2nd question on Diploma Equivalence, I think, number of years of study is not the only criterion here. For example, Quebec has Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) with a few countries and a foreign diploma obtained outside Quebec in those countries will be considered as Quebec equivalent. One may also get a foreign diploma assessed as Quebec equivalent for Regulated Professions (nurses, engineers) through the professional body regulating that profession in Quebec. For example, an engineering diploma holder may contact "Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (http://www.oiq.qc.ca/en/Pages/accueil.aspx)". However, for most foreign diploma holders, this is a long long process (may take several months and resources) and requires writing exams, taking trainings in Quebec institutions among other things.

I think, your profile looks to be positive for Quebec's Skilled Worker program. You can assess yourself using the information here: http://www.canadavisa.com/quebec-skilled-worker-immigration.html

Bonne chance!!

avricardo said:
Guys,

I need help in interpreting the info in the document called 'area-of-training list' [available on the official website immigration-quebec. gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/divers/domaines-6.pdf] - I didn't find it very reader friendly. I have two main doubts.

My 1st doubt pertains to the the ticks in the middle columns entitled 'Diplôme étranger' & 'Diplôme du Québec'. I understand what these titles mean in French, but I don't understand the ticks in the columns. My 1st interpretation was that, for example, a foreign diploma in Law (1st page 1st line) WOULD NOT (as it's not ticked) get the 6 points while a Law diploma obtained in Québec WOULD (it's ticked). Following that rationale (that's when I got confused), only the diplomas in Nutrition (2nd page of doc, 3rd line) obtained outside Québec would get the points (as only the column 'Diplôme étranger' is ticked). To me, that doesn't make sense: while I understand why a law diploma obtained outside Québec would not grant any points (different legal systems), I don't understand why a diploma in nutrition obtained in Québec also wouldn't.

My 2nd doubt pertains to the title of the 2nd column only: 'Diplôme du Québec ou équivalent'. Do they consider a diploma to be equivalent if it has more or less the same amount of years of studies? In that case, this whole distinction between diplomas obtained in Québec and outside Québec doesn't make any sense.

Quick summary of my situation for context and/or opinion if you could kindly be bothered giving me:

33yo male professional
5-year undergrad in Law (Brazilian University)
1.5 years of full-time, self-employed experience as a translator (Port-Eng-Port) and Eng teacher for prospective diplomats
3 years of full-time experience with Immigration (immigration officer) and International Relations (Foreign Affairs Ministry)
Then back to Uni for a 2-year Masters by research in IR finishing in Feb 2013
Fluent in English and French (IELTS 8 and holder of the DALF, obtained in France) - also fluent in Portuguese (native tongue) & Spanish
No kids, a wife, but probably in process of separation. If we end up not separating, she's similarly qualified and as more linguistically skilled (speaks the 4 languages I do plus Chinese) .
Never been to Canada, but know a lot about it (have and have had a few friends and flatmates) and studied & lived in 5 different countries: Brazil, France, the UK, Australia & the USA. Very interested in the Canadian approach to multiculturalism and immigration minorities - would love to get a job in this area in Québec for instance.
ANY ONE WITH ANY FURTHER COMMENTS AND/OR HINTS/SUGGESTIONS?

Any comment/opinion will be much appreciated. Thanks.

manojneelu

Star Member
Jun 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ-HK/VO-ND
NOC Code......
2146 Aeronautical Engineer
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
Doc's Request.
Not yet
AOR Received.
Not yet
IELTS Request
Results sent / 7.5 band
LANDED..........
2013...??
Hi dejvis, please see my detailed response to avricardo.

Regards!

dejvis said:
hi i have the same doubt please if zou have had any info reply to me

dejvis

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you ,,,
at the selection grid for skilled workers 6 points for the area of training "electrotechnique" (installation et reparation d equipement de communications) i suppose my spouse"s diploma ( ecole secondaire professionelle electrique 3 annees) can allow me to submit an application ????? my spouse has that diploma but i will be the principal applicant as i know french language very well ( i am french teacher )he has also a electrical inginiering diploma but the electrical high scool professional i think would be the one who qualifies ... please reply to me before i begin my application