+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are banked hours counted towards the 1 year experience requirement for CEC PR application?

Mariam A

Jan 31, 2024
Due to my nature of work in the mining industry, I sometimes work 12-hour shifts for 2 weeks non-stop. During those two weeks I only cash out 40hr/week and bank the remaining hours. When I return from work, I typically take a week off my work to recoup and cash out my banked hours. So I am confused if these banked hours are considered as paid vacation hours because I have already taken 2 week paid vacation and the IRCC website states that “An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (for example, a 2-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience).” Any guidance on this matter would be really helpful, thanks!

Feb 27, 2024
Due to my nature of work in the mining industry, I sometimes work 12-hour shifts for 2 weeks non-stop. During those two weeks I only cash out 40hr/week and bank the remaining hours. When I return from work, I typically take a week off my work to recoup and cash out my banked hours. So I am confused if these banked hours are considered as paid vacation hours because I have already taken 2 week paid vacation and the IRCC website states that “An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (for example, a 2-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience).” Any guidance on this matter would be really helpful, thanks! BeBallPlayers
Hello,

According to the eligibility criteria for the Canadian Experience Class program, you must have at least 1 year of paid skilled Canadian work experience within the last 3 years. Your work experience must be paid work, including paid wages or earned commission. Therefore, your banked hours are counted towards the 1 year experience requirement as long as they are paid by your employer. However, you should not include any unpaid work, such as volunteer work or unpaid internships, in your calculation.

I hope this clarifies your doubt.

Best regards,
Latonya86Dodson

Last edited:

svisa

Mar 17, 2024
Hey, I am also in the same situation as you are, was wondering what you did. I work full time in construction company and when the work is slow they pay me with banked hours that i collected(They pay 32hrs per week when work is slow from my banked hours). Will the banked hours count towards my work experience?