+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Appying for Canadian PR from USA

onf1inusa

Sep 18, 2009
Hi all,

I am on F1 Visa (International Student) in USA for the last 2.5 years. I just completed my Masters degree in software engineering and started working full time like 3 months ago. I have almost 3 years of work experience in IT field. I already got like 260/300 score in TOEFL, however I am ready to take IELTS, if needed.
I checked my points on the Canadian immigration website and scored like 68 points. Do you think I am eligible to apply for a PR yet or do I need more experience? Also, do I need to be in Canada for sometime in order to apply for a PR or i can apply from the US as well?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

onf1inusa said:
Hi all,

I am on F1 Visa (International Student) in USA for the last 2.5 years. I just completed my Masters degree in software engineering and started working full time like 3 months ago. I have almost 3 years of work experience in IT field. I already got like 260/300 score in TOEFL, however I am ready to take IELTS, if needed.
I checked my points on the Canadian immigration website and scored like 68 points. Do you think I am eligible to apply for a PR yet or do I need more experience? Also, do I need to be in Canada for sometime in order to apply for a PR or i can apply from the US as well?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

But do you have 1 years experience in an occupation in the list of "38" ? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2008/2008-11-28a.asp
If not, you don't qualify without either working in Canada on work permit or having an Approved Employment option from a Canadian employer.

PMM

onf1inusa

Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I checked the link which you sent me. Actually, the list of the occupations is very vague and I am not sure if i qualify for that or not.
I worked as a computer science teacher/instructor in a school (not a college or a university) for almost 14 months. So, do I qualify or not?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

onf1inusa said:
Thanks for the reply.

I checked the link which you sent me. Actually, the list of the occupations is very vague and I am not sure if i qualify for that or not.
I worked as a computer science teacher/instructor in a school (not a college or a university) for almost 14 months. So, do I qualify or not?

Please let me know.

Thanks.
If it wasn't a college/university or vocational school, it won't fit on the list.

PMM

onf1inusa

Sep 18, 2009
Yes, it was a Senior Secondary school affiliated by the State Government's Education Board. I guess that should qualify. Right?

If yes, I have one more question. When I take an experience letter from the school authorities, what exactly should the letter contain?
Is there any specific format that the experience letter should follow or a generic experience letter, which the authorities provide, would do?

Thanks.