+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying OHIP on Landing

dialsaurabh

Sep 12, 2009
Hello - I have been granted permanent residency to Canada. I currently reside in US. I shall be going to Toronto, Ontario to get PR card and I'm planning to visit canada for couple of days and then returning to US. I shall return to canada after few months. I have some questions concerning OHIP card and would appreciate your feedback.

OHIP card requires proof of residency and an original bank statement is an acceptable proof. I plan to open a bank account on the day I land, but I think a bank statement would be mailed to my residence only after 1 month.

1. Would I be able to take my bank opening papers issued by the bank on that day to an OHIP service center and would that be acceptable OR they just want an original bank statement?

2. Secondly, I came across following text as eligibility:
"be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period."

Does this mean
I'll be able to apply only after 153 days of residing in Canada OR I can apply as soon as I land but I won't be able to use it before 153 days.

3. How long would it take for them to mail OHIP card to the specified address ?

4.If I'm out of Canada for more then 153 days(the very first time before I return to Canada), will the insurance be cancelled automatically ?

canadianatheart

May 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Were you going to use the bank statement as proof of residency? If so it has to be a statement that was mailed to you showing your address on the letter or envelope.

This is from their website:
Am I still eligible for OHIP if I temporarily leave Ontario?

You may be out of the province for up to 212 days in any 12-month period and still maintain your Ontario health insurance coverage provided that you continue to make Ontario your primary place of residence.

To maintain eligibility for OHIP coverage you must be an eligible resident of Ontario. This means that you must :

•have an OHIP-eligible citizenship/immigration status; and
•be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
•be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
•make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply when you want to but you will not get your OHIP card until you have lived in ON for 3 months.

For some people, it ends up being very hard to prove that they live in Ontario. They show up with a bank statement, OHIP says that only proves that you told the bank to send it to this address, doesn't mean you live there. They show up with a lease, OHIP says that only proves that you rent an apartment, not that you live there. Maybe you will not have any problems. Good luck.

If they are aware of you having left for too long then yes, you may lose it again.