+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**Applying for work permit within Canada for EU citizen**

prell101

Feb 21, 2010
Hi,

I understand that EU citizens dont need a visa to enter Canada.
Would it be possible to then apply for either a temporary work permit or student visa from within Canada?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As for work permit, you would need an employer to apply for an LMO for you which can easily take 6 weeks or in some cases longer. The employer needs to prove that the job has been advertised for a certain amount of time and that he could not find anybody qualified and/or willing to take the job and that he is offering market wages. If you get the LMO approved, the fastest way to get a work permit is take your LMO and $150 to the US border and apply for your work permit at the border as you re-enter Canada.

For study permit, I don't know as much. I know you need to have been accepted to a college, you need to be able to show that you can pay your tuition and support yourself but I don't think it's a problem to apply from within Canada.

Some EU countries have work exchange agreements with Canada for young people. If you could get in on a program like that, it would really be the easiest way to get a work permit. You would get an open work permit for a year and it would help you secure employment with an employer who is later willing to go through the hassle of applying for an LMO for you to keep you if you want to stay. To find out if your country has a program like that, ask at the Canadian embassy where you live.

Denca

Feb 20, 2010
Check my post - hxxp://xxx.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/lithuanian-living-in-uk-moving-to-canada-t35164.0.html

maybe its helps you!

ELAR

Oct 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2009
Doc's Request.
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
April 28, 2010
File Transfer...
In process at Buffalo: Aug 17, 2010
Med's Request
Oct 27, 2010
Med's Done....
Nov 4, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 24, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 26, 2011
LANDED..........
May 26, 2011
prell101 said:
Hi,

Would it be possible to then apply for either a temporary work permit or student visa from within Canada?

You may not need an LMO if your are a US citizen for getting a work permit. You may apply for a work permit if your occupation is a LMO category exempt under NAFTA international agreement. See below:

"A professional must:

be qualified to work in one of the more than 60 professions listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 of Chapter 16 of NAFTA (for example, accountant, computer systems analyst, engineer, management consultant and technical publications writer) and
have pre-arranged employment with a Canadian enterprise in an occupation that matches the qualification. "

source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp

alshandrin

Nov 20, 2013
Can a Portuguese passport holder apply for driving license in Canada?

prell101 said:
Hi,