+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR/Work Permit while visiting Canada

BennB

Mar 30, 2006
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following questions:

I would like to visit Canada with my wife and look for work. If I do find a job, can I apply for a work permit (through my country's offices) whilst waiting in Canada?

Can I then apply for a PR while working on a work permit? I won't need HRSDC approval for the permit, since I qualify for the fast track for IT professionals.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BennB said:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following questions:

I would like to visit Canada with my wife and look for work. If I do find a job, can I apply for a work permit (through my country's offices) whilst waiting in Canada?

Can I then apply for a PR while working on a work permit? I won't need HRSDC approval for the permit, since I qualify for the fast track for IT professionals.
1. Yes, as long as it HRSDC exempt and your qualifications meet the criteria, otherwise the employer will have to have it certified by HRSDC.
2. Don't forget that your would have to return to SA if an interview is required and that Pretoria will not send your PP to Canada, only to the countries it is responsible for.
3. As long as you are admitted for 1 year on the work permit, you can either apply at Buffalo or Pretoria, if you apply at Buffalo and an interview is required you will need a US visitor visa, hard/impossible to get for Immigration interview
4. Note that the processing time for SW is 19-43 months Buffalo and 31/50 months in Pretoria and both are increasing.

PMM