+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Citizenship with meeting basic residence and not Physical Residenc

kewlal

Apr 5, 2010
I will meet basic residency in 0ct 2010. However i have not yet met the physical residency as my partner i will be in australia as she is currently perusing her masters which is funded by Canadian student loans. We both did our undergrad degrees in canada and got our PR via the provincial nomination process.

Will we be able to apply for residency having met the basic residency requirements but not yet the physical presence. we still have ties in canada with paying our taxes and having the canadian student loans and bank accounts and with every intent of returning back.

would appreciate any help?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my opinion, it is not advisable to apply for citizenship until you meet the full residency requirements. Sure they say you can apply but these applications are put on the back burner and you will have to prove to them why they should give you citizenship when you don't meet physical presence.

kewlal

Apr 5, 2010
Leon said:
In my opinion, it is not advisable to apply for citizenship until you meet the full residency requirements. Sure they say you can apply but these applications are put on the back burner and you will have to prove to them why they should give you citizenship when you don't meet physical presence.
Thanks leon. We are kind of stuck with school as going back is not an option until we finish school, however the PR card will expire. Should apply for a new PR card? and also just lodge the citizen ship application? would in your opinion, the circumstances of school be valid and a good one

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kewlal said:
Thanks leon. We are kind of stuck with school as going back is not an option until we finish school, however the PR card will expire. Should apply for a new PR card? and also just lodge the citizen ship application? would in your opinion, the circumstances of school be valid and a good one
I don't think they will give you any credit for being away in school. A PR who fails to meet the residency requirements for PR would not get very far with that reason so I don't think it will work for citizenship.

You can not apply for a new PR card from outside Canada and unlike the first one which is sent to you in the mail, the 2nd one you have to pick up yourself at a CIC office in Canada. You should therefore wait until you are ready to move back to Canada and then you can apply for a PR travel document at the Canadian embassy to allow you to travel back. Once you are living in Canada again, you can apply to renew your PR card.

Of course you must meet the PR residency requirement both to get a travel document issued and to get a PR card renewal once you are back in Canada.